Thursday, June 14, 2007

I need to get back into the swing of things. I keep forgetting to post!

I had a bunch of things to do today like pay all the bills that have been piling up since I've been gone. I also needed to go to the bank. I had some New Zealand currency in my wallet that I forgot to convert while I was still at the airport, and since a friend had told me I could convert it at my bank, I stopped in there to try to get it done. The teller could not have been more put out about converting the money. He kept having to go confer with a manager to figure out what to do. Mind you, this is only $160 NZ which is roughly $120 US, but after being out of work for a month I could certainly use the money. He finally told me he could do it, but it would take 20 minutes. I'd already been standing there for about 15, so I said, "Forget it, I'll just take care of it somewhere else." Then he said if I gave him my account info and the cash, he could get it converted and just deposit it into my account and I wouldn't have to wait. I told him that was fine. He got a copy of my card and license and wrote out the amount of cash, then the problem. I asked for a receipt. He went to confer again and came back to say that he couldn't give me a receipt because he didn't know the exchange rate yet. I sighed and tried not to point out the obvious fact that my computer could tell me in about 2 seconds. I told him, "I just want some sort of receipt to show that you have received this money from me, in case it doesn't end up in my account for some reason." He laughed and said, "Well...we're pretty good at this." Yes, B of A just overflows with competency. This is why I try to never have to actually enter the bank and deal with actual people.

Some of you have asked me about next season of BL and when I'll be going back. The fact of the matter is I will not be returning next season, at least not at the beginning. I got promoted to my position when the editor I worked for left to do a pilot with the same production company. My promotion came with the caveat that if his show got canceled, he would return to take back his position. Well it did, and so did he. They offered me my old job back but I didn't really want it, nor did I want to push out my own assistant who had also been promoted. They did say they were happy with my work and that I would be the first person they'd call if another opening came up. In the meantime, I'm going back to freelance editing for the company that does a lot of HGTV shows, and am looking for a union job as hard as I can. Wish me luck because I don't really have an extensive resume for editing.

The song of the day is "Out of Mind, Out of Sight" by The Models off their 1985 album of the same name. I quick scan of their Wikipedia sight will show that several musicians came in and out of the band over their nearly 10 year run as a new wave/glam rock band out of Melbourne, Australia. This particular album was their most commercially successful, and in fact, this is really the only song I remember from it.

6 Comments:

Blogger --AA-- said...

re: work. Damn that truly truly sucks!

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you get the next big show....

-Amir

9:50 PM  
Blogger NB said...

I am so sorry about the job. You are very good at what you do and your work will speak for itself.

Did they just tell you now when you got home? Bummer.

5:11 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Aw, edit, I'm so sorry about the employment sitch. You should have told us to watch the other guy's show so we could have helped with the ratings (unless it was The Wedding Bells... sorry, I couldn't help anyone by watching that).

I was also looking forward to you telling your New Zealand customs story around the set.

I'm like you, I prefer banking with the ATM over rude tellers.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

I'm guessing that the work for relatively inexperienced editors is just as scarce as the work for relatively inexperienced writers?

sigh

Good luck and may the Force be with you, editthis

KJC (an unemployed writer who will also "work for food")

8:56 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

nb - No, I knew before I left town. And I had a feeling it was coming. Doesn't make it any easier.

la - It WAS Wedding Bells, and I couldn't ask ANYONE to watch that.

KJC - Yep. Inexperienced is inexperienced.

11:50 AM  
Blogger LA said...

You probably already know this, but you're not the only person not returning to BL this season:

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Exclusive-Boston-Legal/800016952

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home