Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I'd like to send a shout out to my old friend (and lead singer), Jason LeMaster. I hadn't heard from him in a couple of years but sent him a link to the blog and photos. To this, he responded, "Oh...My...God. Did I think that I looked cool? No wonder I never got dates."

Sad news for the Los Angeles Kings, who were unable to defeat the Pittsburg Penguins last night and lost in overtime. I wish I could have seen this game - I belive it's the only time this season the Penguins will be in town. I've been dying to see young phenom Sydney Crosby in action. The (just) 19-year-old Crosby already has 18 points in just 10 games. Who wouldn't want to see him play?

It took me another hour and a half to get home Wednesday night, and it wasn't even Halloween! I was let go from work over an hour early, so I was all excited. I thought I'd get home quickly then actually get a workout in. But after sitting in the car for an hour and a half, do you think I wanted to work out? No! Instead, I went home, fed the dog, got food from Rubio's, and tried to catch up on my Tivo.


I had a new Southpark Tivo'd. That always makes fora good day. Kudos to the guys at Southpark for their episode on evolution v. creationism, and their ridiculously funny take on the whole thing.

Yesterday, someone handed me an article from the Wall Street Journal about a recent study about self-consciousness in animals. I had actually read about the same study earlier in the week on the web. I wish I could find the article now. The basic gist was that things we see in animals, such as dogs, which we think might show their self-awareness (ie. what we might perceive as happiness or sadness, etc.) is actually just an instinctual reaction to their environment. Still, other studies came to the conclusion that the same reactions or behaviours in animals actually DOES show a self-awareness or consciousness. In other words, none of the papers had come to a concrete conclusion.

Personally, as a dog owner and lover, I don't know how you can look in the eyes of an animal like a dog and think there ISN'T anything in there. I tried to have this discussion with a co-worker yesterday, and they said they thought animals had no thoughts. He described them as a "bag of organs." While I don't think any animals necessarily have the same intelligence or awareness as humans (also basically animals, by the way), I simply can't agree with that point of view. That's just my two cents.

Anyway, off the soapbox. The song for today is "(Don't You) Forget About Me" by Simple Minds. I never liked anything else they ever did, but I freaking love this song. Although, oddly, I just realized it is somehow not on my iPod! Again, I don't recall the specific Simple Minds album this came from, but we all know it best from the Breakfast Club soundtrack. I have seen that movie so many times, I think I know every line by heart. While visiting the Chicago area a couple of years ago, I drove past the actual high school where the movie had been filmed. I see film sets all the time, but I thought THAT was cool. It was near Shermer Road, by the way. You should all know by now that there is no Shermer, Il, despite the many movies of John Hughes that take place there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

Love the hockey report. Any chance we might be getting more of them? wow, I wish I had an intellectual conversation with someone at work. So, what's that like?

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home