Tuesday, January 02, 2007

I played hockey for the first time in over three weeks yesterday. I hadn’t stepped on the ice since before my surgery. I played pickup with a group of guys I play with regularly for our annual New Year’s skate. I was worried about skating for the hour, since I’ve spent a good deal of the past three weeks doped up and laying on my couch and have been so inactive that putting my clothes on actually tires me out. Then I got to pickup and found out it was actually a 90 minute skate. And we were on a 2:15 buzzer for line changes. Thank God we weren’t on the Olympic ice. I appreciated the smaller size of the NHL rink.

I did alright. I didn’t get as tired as I thought I would, and had a couple of assists. I’ve really missed skating. There’s nothing like stepping onto fresh ice and feeling your blades cut through it. Nothing like the THWACK of a tape to tape pass as it lands on the blade of your stick. I try not to have any resolutions, since I’m so bad at keeping them. But my main goal for the year is to play hockey more and get better at it.

I found myself watching the dish on New Year’s Eve and somehow, I ended up watching “Runaway Bride.” Yeah, I said it – “Runaway Bride.” The weird thing is that I couldn’t STOP watching it, and then I realized it was because of Richard Gere. I can’t seem to stop watching anything as long as he’s in it. Talk about aging gracefully. I hope I look that good while I’m his age.

The song for today is one you probably never heard. It’s called “Isn’t It Enough” and it was recorded in 1986 by a guy named Danny Wilde on his album The Boyfriend. I discovered the album when I was working in commercial radio in a small town in Oregon. It came in with a bunch of other promotional music no one would listen to, and I pilfered it. It ended up becoming one of my favorite albums of the decade. You may now know Wilde by his name, but he went on to head The Rembrants who are most well known for recording the theme to “Friends” (“I’ll Be There For You”). That band had a lot of great music, and I highly recommend you overlook the fact that they did that theme song and check out some of their other music.

3 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

See, you have a lot of cool hobbies too! Hockey, mountain biking, researching the family tree . . . I ended up watching The Producers on HBO - not the classic, the remake - yikes

Glad to hear your back up on not so thin ice!

8:51 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

p.s. I'd love to hear about your radio days

8:51 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Although I really like The Rembrandts, I couldn't have named either of them if I had to. Thanks for taking care of half of that for me. Would like to hear his music sometime.

I know you don't care about football, but you missed out on a really dramatic football game last night. Boise State (little Boise State) beat powerhouse Oklahoma in overtime in what has to be one of the best games of all-time. Talk about drama and suspense...

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home