Thursday, December 28, 2006

I never thought I would be the person to be saying this, but I've been looking forward to having a narcotics free day, and it finally arrived yesterday. I was able to get through a complete day and night without having to take any kind of pain killer. Not that I'm still not in any pain - my throat is still very sore, and god forbid I have to sneeze or yawn. Those both hurt. But at least I can have a clear head about it.

I went and saw the movie "We Are Marshall" yesterday. I liked it. I thought Matthew McConaughey was really good in it, as was Matthew Fox. (Although, between this movie, "Lost" and "Party of Five" I've never seen a guy cry more than Matthew Fox. If you're doing a film and you need an actor who can turn on the waterworks at will, this is your guy.) For those of you unfamiliar with the film, it retells the true story of the football program at Marshall University as they try to rebuild after a tragic plane crash kills all but 4 of its varsity players. The movie definitely pulls at your heart strings, as most sports movies do. I'm always a sucker for them, this one included, and I don't even like football.

For those of you who don't know, the television show I'm working on is extremely behind schedule. We had a bunch of reshoots early in the season, and we're now about 20 days behind. If you work in episodic television, you know that's a lot. We're working more weekends than not, and are still hardly able to finish shows, get them onlined and mixed, before they get on the air. And right before the Christmas break, I heard the network had asked us to do two more episodes this season, for a total of 24. In the meantime, while shows like "Lost," "Heroes" and "Desperate Housewives" get to enjoy the new so-called "mid season hiatus," we're totally behind and get no break whatsoever. I shouldn't be complaining. Two extra episodes this season means I should get another 3-4 weeks of work. But still. We're already burnt out. Wait until you see us at the end of May.

The song for the day is "Beat's So Lonely" by Charlie Sexton. This one was a bit of an underground song. You're probably more familiar with it if you were in college in the mid-80s. It came off Sexton's 1985 album Pictures For Pleasure, recorded when he was only 16 years old. Sexton, a child prodigy, went on to record many other albums, and eventually ended up playing backup in Bob Dylan's band. He also owent on to produce several albums, including one by Edie Brickell.

5 Comments:

Blogger wcdixon said...

Sexton rocked...I especially liked his work with the Arc Angels.

Twenty days. Yikes. But nevertheless, more behind the scenes! You don't have to dish dirt but insight into the workings of a bigtime network show will have most of us salivating for more...more!

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few of us know what show of which you speak, so, I'm sorry to hear that things are a little tense over there, due to the (over)extended work schedule. It doesn't help that you're still trying to recover from painful surgery, either, huh?

11:36 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

I have to admit I haven't really watched your show - I'll have to tune in so I can see how your hard work is paying off!

p.s. I still have my tonsils and hope to keep them after reading what you have gone through

12:48 PM  
Blogger LA said...

No offense to you personally, but I'm THRILLED your show is getting a couple extra episodes. I just started watching it this season, and I totally dig it.

Happy to hear you've had your first drug-free day! No one ever tells adults how bad tonsillectomies are going to be. They suck.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! 20 days behind....ouch!.

Well...I would say skip the diet coke and bagel for breakfast, and start eating something nutritionally useful when you start work...you are gonna need the energy ;).

I feel for you editthis....but that's typically how holidays end right? [oh wait, this was not really a holiday...hmmm].

--cheers
Amir

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home