Saturday, December 23, 2006

I must be going completely puppy crazy, it's hard not to when the puppy looks like this! Here are a couple of photos my neighbor took the other day when I was playing with Stryder out in the driveway.
I felt so decent yesterday that I was actually able to eat some regular food, so I made myself a German Pancake for dinner. Alright...not your usual dinner fare, but when you're sick, I think it's totally acceptable. For those of you who haven't had one, they are really good. You can serve them with fruit, but I like to drizzle mine with lemon juice and powdered sugar and top with syrup.

I have a small pile of presents sitting on my kitchen table from some relatives back home in the Northwest. Since I'm single this year, I'm not really doing Christmas, per se. No tree, no lights, etc. At any rate, I got these presents in the mail about a week ago and they're just sitting here, begging to be opened. If I was in my early 20s, I would have opened them when I got them in the mail and not said anything about it until Christmas day. It's not like anyone would KNOW, right? Unfortunately, now I have a bit more of a conscience. Plus, Wally would give me the guilty stare and make me feel it.

The song for today is "Sunday Bloody Sunday" by U2. It comes off their 1983 release War. I loved everything about U2 when I first saw them on MTV in the early 80s. They were cool looking, they were full of angst, they were Irish...what's not to like? Who did't wish they could be Bono marching out on stage waving a flag as he sang this song? One thing I will tell you - I never would have foreseen U2 to have the staying power they've had, or that Bono would still be so politically involved in everything (I love the guy, but I wish sometimes he'd just shut it and be a rock star). In fact, for his efforts, he is this week reciving the honor of the British Knighthood.

Like I said, I always loved U2 - until they got to about Atchung Baby, and started playing dance music. I kind of tuned them out for several years while they did that, along with the subliminam messaging of the Zooropa videos. I only came back to appriciate them after 2000 when they reinvented themselves with All That You Can't Leave Behind - reinvented meaning they sounded like the OLD U2! I had a friend staying at a place on an island in Thailand for several weeks where they turned the power off every night and turned it back on in the morning. The way everyone knew the power was back on would be to hear "Beautiful Day" blaring up the beach. It seems like the perfect song to hear in paradise to signal that you can go get your smoothie now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

More great pics! Glad to hear you are back on solid food - and pancakes are always good at any time of day.

Great song choice, too. U2 has been one of my favorite bands for more than 25 years - and I can't think of another band that has managed to stay relevant for so long . . .

12:15 PM  
Blogger wcdixon said...

Funny...I was big on U2 right from 'Gloria' and their first lp - and then when 'Atchung Baby' came out I did a bit of a 'huh?'

But as time went by it grew and grew on me until it became my fav album of theirs, still even today. Music...it works in 'Mysterious Ways'.

7:38 PM  
Blogger LA said...

That puppy makes me miss Bean's Tater Tot. *sigh*

Happy Holidays to you!

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

iCute puppy!

KJC (who loves U2 as much as you)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Was never much of a U2 fan, although I've come to appreciate them in my advanced years.

However, I prefer puppies and pancakes anytime!

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home