Friday, June 15, 2007

I kept thinking I would put off posting today until I had my photos up on the web and ready to be viewed, but that's taking much longer than I anticipated so it will have to wait. I woke up pretty late today. In fact, I don't think I've woken up before 10am since I got back and that will have to change soon. It would help if I actually had an appointment or some reason to get up in the morning, but I don't, and even Wally won't wake me to go out unless he's about to burst. He has a bladder of steel.

Speaking of Wally, I discovered on his collar yesterday a new dog tag that someone put on him when I was gone. In fact, it was Madeline's boyfriend who put it on him. It said:
Wally
#1 Anaheim Ducks Fan
2007 Stanley Cup Champions
Poor Wally. He's a Kings dog all the way (no matter how pathetic that might be right now).

I attacked my front garden today. I only have a tiny patio area, it's maybe 10'x10' but there are some rose bushes and other stuff, a lemon tree and such. It actually looked really nice when I moved in, probably because the person who used to live here actually knew how to garden. My ex-boyfriend wasn't good for much, but I could usually make him go out there 3-4 times a year to clear out weeds and cut back the bushes. He's been gone for a year now and the garden hasn't been touched once, aside from a bad job of tree trimming and some dead heading of roses. I was starting to worry I might get a notice from the Board of the Home Owners Association, so I decided to take action. I went out with the few yard tools I have and cleared out a bunch of weeds, trimmed back what I believe is a bush (it might be a weed - I'm truly not sure) and trimmed the horribly overgrown rose bushes. After 2-3 hours I had cleared (badly) about 1/3 of my tiny garden and filled two huge Hefty bags. That is the most gardening I've done EVER in my whole life. I really need someone to point out to me which are weeds and which are bushes so I know what to pull. I should have taken a before photo, but I forgot. Needless to say, I'll have to get back at it again in the next couple of days.

The song of the day is "I Think We're Alone Now" by shopping mall star Tiffany. I hope you all realize what a pain in the ass it was to share the same name with her during since I was in high school at the time and we were the same age. It just never got old when people sang that song at me. This song was a remake of the old Tommy James version and she managed to not completely massacre it. I can't say I ever appreciated Tiffany - her music was far too poppy for me - but I've always appreciated the fact that she doesn't take herself too seriously. Whether it be posing for Playboy, taking part in crappy reality shows, or spoofing herself on sitcoms, she seems to be able to laugh at herself. It makes me not feel so bad about laughing at her on my own.

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Roses are pretty hardy, so they should come back pretty quickly, but normally, you give them a good pruning in January. Here are the secrets to gardening that I have learned

1. be willing to cut
2. be willing to pull out and re-plant

Most of the flowers at the nursery are annuals, so only meant to last a few months - go buy some petunias and plant them for instant color! when they die in the fall, replace them with some snapdragons and pansies.

After 12 years of this, I now have pretty good year round garden, with enough perennials (plants that last or come back year after year) to sustain it w/o much additional planting . . .it's all trial and error, but worth the effort

9:15 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I have no gardening tips, sorry. I have a black thumb.

Because of my name, I officially hate The Beatles' song "Michelle". I can't tell you how many people (still) sing it to me everytime I see them.

That being said, I do love Tiffany's "I think we're alone now". I remember a Full House episode where DJ and Stephanie wanted to go to a Tiffany concert and they sang this song in the living room. Hahaha...

10:03 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

p.s. Love Wally's new tag, even though my heart belongs to the Kings too

1:13 PM  
Blogger LA said...

That tag is damn funny!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

If I see Wally wearing that tag when I come over, he's going to have a lot of explaining to do.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home