Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Yesterday was my first day back at work. Wally was excited to see everyone and was running around getting his ass scratched and a bunch of doggie treats. When I showed up for work and pulled into the parking garage, I remembered that they had moved all our spaces around. I vaguely recalled where my space was supposed to be, so I headed in that direction. I saw the cars of the other two assistant editors, but was dismayed to see there was no space for me next to them. Then I realized…my space was between the other two EDITOR’S cars, because that’s what I am now. I also got to move into my edit bay today. Finally…a door I can close with everyone else on the other side!

Speaking of Wally, it’s Wally Wednesday. Here’s a photo of the little guy after he got his New Year’s bath the other day.

Diane mentioned in the comments yesterday that she was interested in hearing more about the days I worked in radio. There are so many stories, it’s hard to know where to start. I got interested in radio when I was still in high school, and was already working weekends at a (very) small 500 watt AM station in Seaside, OR on the weekends. It was so small that not only did I have to lower the strength of the signal at sundown, I had to actually shut the station off at midnight. They were completely on records. The only things on carts (a type of cassette that doesn’t require rewinding) were the commercials and PSAs.

After I graduated, I moved to Olympia, WA to go to college, but soon dropped out and started working nights and weekends for the local adult contemporary station. I worked on the morning show doing the traffic, which was somewhat of a challenge, since Olympia is such a small town that there isn’t much traffic. I actually drove around town for two hours in the station truck so I could “accurately” report the situation.

At one point, I got a job in Aberdeen, WA (home of Nirvanna) working at an AM/FM station. I worked on the weekends. Because it was an hour drive out there from Olympia (where I lived) they had me work the late night on Saturday and the early morning on Sunday. I would work from 6p-midnight, turn the station off and sleep on one of the couches. I would then wake up at 5:30a on Sunday, turn the station back on, and start playing the church show (that arrived every week on vinyl) which ran for two hours. I’d work until noon then drive home. It was exhausting.

I soon came to the realization that a) I wasn’t very good at being a radio announcer, and b) it didn’t pay very well. I used to make roughly $800 a month (gross), and that was only 15 years or so ago. I have no idea how I paid my bills. At any rate, it was in radio that I discovered my talent for editing and production. I much more enjoyed my time putting commercials together with the 1/4” magnetic tape that had to be cut with a razor blade and taped together when you edited it.

The song for today is (I think) another rarity. It’s definitely a one-hit wonder. It’s called “Salt In My Tears” and it was recorded by Martin Briley in 1981 on his album One Night With A Stranger. Briley had been a session musician with a bunch of acts in the 80s, but also released a couple of albums himself. I think this is the only song that had any popularity. I mostly remember the video, which you can see here:

7 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I think it is very cool that Wally can come to work with you. And thanks for the radio stories! I love that you actually drove around to get the scoop on traffic. . .

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your radio days sound a lot like mine, Editthis. In the early 90s I was a part-time evening, weekends and overnight DJ at an FM station whose signal strength stretched from the edges of Ottawa, Ontario to Plattsburgh, NY.

I didn't really like being on the air so much. All my life I've had this serious problem with stage fright -- which is really odd considering I've been a performer in one way or another since my teen years. But anyway, it wasn't the greatest experience for me. Maybe someday I'll blog about it.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your own parking space, and your own edit bay! Great start to a new year ain't it ?

Well don't fall into the old routine at work now. Give those underlings hell. Show them who's the boss now :).

--cheers
Amir

10:45 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Really enjoyed hearing about your early radio days - considering you never shared those stories with me.

Funny you should mention the Martin Briley song because I heard it on XM yesterday and saw the video last week on VHI Classic. Really good song...

Welcome back to reality, I mean, work...

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that really you playing hockey in that picture???? That's not OUR jersey!

7:59 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Wow, I'm impressed you remembered that song! Very random.

Congrats on the promotion and parking spot! Give us a head's up when your first show as editor is aired.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, that song is sure a blast from the past. I hadn't even thought of that song for years and years, yet I could remember nearly every word.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home