Saturday, June 16, 2007

I got out and actually ran yesterday. I went out in the evening when the temperature had cooled and ran a 5k loop in the area. On the upside, my knee didn't lock up and I was able to finish the run. On the down side, it look me just over 33 minutes. Pretty depressing when I used to be able to run it in 27.

I read about this news story out of the Seattle Times on a friend's blog this morning. On May 14, French customs officials quarantined a 35mm film print on its way to Cannes. This is the story of the film: a film crew was shooting a low-budget independent horror film called "The Evil Eye" in islands off Turkey and Greece during the summer of 2006. The crew used a 33 meter long ship as both a principal location and sleeping quarters for the crew. While attempting to shoot a staged explosion at sea on a smaller vessel the director, cinematographer, and sound man were all killed when the boat exploded. Reportedly, another actress had died during additional shooting when the prop knife being used in the scene turned out to be real. The videographer on set, Nick Brown (son of British film editor Barry Alexander Brown), took the footage home and edited it together into a feature film called "Last Looks" which shows the crew members actually dying the screen. Brown says the seizure of the film is "a disguised act of censorship" and went on to say, "One way or another this film will be shown at Cannes, and I predict that people will find, in spite of all the rumors swirling around, that it is a very entertaining movie." I could go on a lengthy rant about all that is wrong with this guy trying to profit off the death of these crew members, but I think I'll assume that you already get it.

The song of the day is "So Alive" by Love and Rockets off their 1989 self-titled album (which was actually their third album). The band was formed in 1985 by two former Bauhaus members. Though the band released several albums and had a decent following, this is the only hit they ever had. I don't believe I've ever heard anything else by them, but every time I hear "So Alive" I have very distinct memories of screwing off in journalism class my Senior year.

6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

33 minutes? kwitcherbitchen! I dream of running a 5k in such a time . . . :-)

People are idiots - I hope he doesn't make a dime off that "film"

4:29 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Hey, at least you're running. I used to run, but not now.

I agree with both you and Diane. Legally I would hope the guy would lack the right to show it.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

The only time I'll run is if someone is chasing me. I limit my exercise to walking the stadium bleachers and the track at work and getting up to walk to the kitchen.

I do remember liking Love and Rockets and I think I light have one of their CD's. Ah... Song of the Day comments again. All is right with the world.

9:24 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Flix - I ran once. I wouldn't consider that "running." We'll see how the week goes.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't even drive 5K without bitching, but it's better than walking OR running 5K! Is that a picture of YOUR feet running, and if so, how did you get that angle? Love that Love and Rockets song!!!!!

10:02 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Madeline - Ha ha, not my feet. That would be a hard picture to take!

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home