Monday, December 18, 2006

The Editor I work for, Phil, throws a great Christmas party every year, and it’s the party I’m always sure not to miss. So I went this year, even though maybe I shouldn’t have driven myself, because I definitely needed to get out of the house. It was great to see everyone I work with, and some people I haven’t seen in awhile.

Phil lives in one of those cool big houses in Sherman Oaks, just south of the boulevard. One of those places where you really feel like you’re “in” Los Angeles when you’re driving down the street. He does the house up with lights, and orders fabulous food from Porto’s Bakery in Glendale. All year, I look forward to the food at Phil’s party. They get these great potato/meat fried ball thingies that are fantastic. Alas, all I could do last night was look longingly at the food.

Since so many people come to the party, they have tables and heaters set up outside on the back porch, along with a bar. All of us from Post Production gathered outside. I was freezing. In hindsight, I wish I had grabbed a warmer coat. I forgot about the outdoor part of the party, and instead grabbed a lightweight leather jacket more suited to summer. If I was directly under one of the heaters, I was OK. Rather, the top of my head was OK, but by the end of the night, I was pretty chilled. It was a good thing – the cold is probably what kept me awake despite the pain killers and their usual sleepy hold on me. When I went to my car to leave, I noticed it was only 44 degrees out.

The party was a challenge since I can hardly speak. I can speak, but it’s difficult, and I sort of sound like Marlee Matlin when I do. All the guys from work found it amusing. It then occurred to me – what if the sound of my voice isn’t temporary and because of surgery, but is just what my voice now sounds like without my tonsils!

The song for today is "We Close Our Eyes" by Go West. The song is from the British pop duo's self-titled debut 1985 album. Most of you probably know them best for their hit off the Pretty Woman soundtrack that would come a couple of years later, but this album is Go West at their best - an excellent example of 80s pop rock.

3 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

When you get better, you should treat yourself to a trip to Porto Bakery!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Never heard of the place, being that I'm in the OC, but it might be worth a trip out there to check out the food. Speaking of... I was slightly disturbed by the picture of mashed potatoes you had yesterday. Kinda scary...

Happen to own that Go West CD and "We Close Our Eyes" is my favorite track off it. I also liked the Oingo Boingo some of the same name.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are those Tater Dogs? YUM!

rob

LOL

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home