Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Wow...I don't know why the pain in my throat gets so much worse in the middle of the night. The last couple of nights, it seems like the pain medication wears off so much quicker, and when it does...oh, my God. It takes about an hour for another pill to kick in, and until it does, I have a white hot pain shooting up and into my ears.

I got turned onto this web site called Malingering's World though another blog that I read. The first time I went there, I couldn't stop looking at it. It's a blog kept by a fellow Los Angelean and misanthropist who takes pictures while she's out an about of all the annoying fashion trends and such in Los Angeles - such as Ugg boots in 80 degree weather with shorts, and 10 year olds dressed like hookers. Sometimes the photos speak for themselves, and sometimes they have very humourous captions to explain them. I find them really funny. What is even more funny are the comments she receives for same photos on Flickr, where people sometimes appreciate her wit, but often don't, and go on and on about her being the problem with society. When you get to the bottom of the blog, you can click on "Previous Posts" to see more (and more) photos.

Have you seen American Movie? I saw it several years ago when it came out (1999), but recently caught it on one of the movie channels. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it's a documentary following Wisconsin film maker Marc Borchardt as he tries to film and produce his horror movie "Coven." The thing about the film is that, as you watch it, if you don't know any better, you will think it's a mockumentary (like This Is Spinal Tap), because the characters and the things they do are so unbelievably ridiculous. Such as Borchardt's best friend, Mike Schank, who is a recovering alcoholic but now addicted to Lotto tickets. The footage of them filming a fight in the kitchen, trying to get an actor to put his head through a wooden cabinet that (whoops) has not been scored yet to break on its own, is priceless. You can learn more about the film and order a copy here.

I've watched a bunch of movies over the last week. I'm waiting to get new ones in the mail, so until then, I have to rely on the dish. Yesterday, I tried to watch Robert Altman's last film A Prairie Home Companion. I've never been a HUGE fan of Altman's but have usually found his films entertaining enough. However, this last work was generally unwatchable, and when I was done, I was left with the overwhelming feeling of "What the hell?"

The song for the day is "867-5309/Jenny" by Tommy Tutone. As I'm beginning to realize with most songs I remember from the 80s, this is yet another one hit wonder. The song was released on the band's second album, Tutone-2, in 1981, and was quickly a hit on the MTV circuit. It had catchy lyrics and a classic pop riff, and who of you does NOT remember trying to call this number and see what was at the other end? When I was researching this song, I was surprised to see that the band actually has an official web site, although I'm sure they've been tapping into the whole 80s revolution and have probably been performing at fairs across the country. I also discovered you can seemingly only buy this song on a Tutone album (as opposed to an 80s compilation disc) by purchasing the hybrid Tommy Tutone/Tommy Tutone-2, a compilation of the band's first two albums (pictured).

5 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

Don't know that I've heard of the movie you mentioned, but I'll try and check it out. Also, don't fear, "The Shield" is on the way.

Turns out, Tommy Tutone is going to be at the Orange County New Year's Eve bash at the OC Fairgrounds. Not sure which of the several indoor arenas he will be playing at, or which time, but I'll try and pop over and see how Jenny is doing.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I'll add that movie to my netflix queue. That song is one of the catchiest of all time . . .

6:15 PM  
Blogger sage said...

sad to hear you didn't like Prarie Home Companion, do you listen to Keillor in NPR? I've heard you'd only like the movie if you like the radio show and even then, it wasn't that good of a movie, so I haven't seen it. Didn't see American movie either--but have just posted a review of an Indian movie...

7:49 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Isn't Malingering great? I think it's hilarious that some people just don't get it. I love her work!

My brother's band covers 867-5309. It's always a crowd pleaser.

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bluetooth meets Braveheart!
I love Malingering.
I could get addicted to those daily postings.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home