Saturday, October 20, 2007

Those of you who read last week's account of my Friday night game should know I showed up last night much better prepared to play a game of hockey. My skates were sharp, I had a brand new stick, I'd eaten, and I even brought Propel AND sports beans to keep my electrolytes up. Yet for some reason, this didn't stop me from feeling tired and fatigued right from the start of the game. I thought I was in for a replay of the previous week.

I was in just this tired, shaky shape on the bench halfway through the first when one of the refs, Jeff Gardner, handed me a bite size piece of dark chocolate with a coffee center. He said, "That should be good for at least a goal," as I popped it into my mouth. I thought nothing could really hurt at that point. A moment later, we did a line change. I hopped over the boards, picked someone's pocket, and broke away with the puck, nearly scoring a goal. Shortly thereafter, I noticed my energy level had soared. I wasn't nearly as fatigued, and I went on to score a goal and two assists, a three point game.

You might be wondering to yourself why a referee would have a pocket full of chocolate in the middle of a hockey game. As it turns out, Gardner is a chocolatier in his real life, and often has samples of whatever he's put together the night before. He owns his own company, Marsatta, which makes high end chocolates. Marsatta chocolates can be found in numerous stores, and bought on his web site. I didn't see the chocolate/coffee bite he handed me last night there, so I'll have to find out more. Considering the superstition of athletes, don't be surprised if I find the need to pop one into my mouth before every game forever after.

The song of the day is "My World" by Sick Puppies off their 2007 release Dressed Up As Life. I picked up the disc by this Australian band when I was in Melbourne over the summer (although you can certainly get it here now). The more I listen to it, the more I love it. I keep thinking I've heard some of their stuff on KROQ, but don't see them on their web site. At any rate, really great CD and this is a great song. And for you guys, they have a pretty hot female bassist (at least according to the YouTube comments), so you should at least enjoy watching the video.

7 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

So you'll be asking for chocolates at every game now, right?

3:28 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

If he's reffing the game and you ask him, he'll throw some over the glass for you. He did it to my friends once.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this reminds me of when jeff was shooting "the secret life of...chocolate." They went to K Chocolateir in BH and had a bunch of her homemade dark chocolate truffles while filming. Jeff said that he and the director both noticed that colors were more vibrant and that they just felt more aware. hmmmmm.

4:21 PM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

Chocolate AND coffee...sounds perfect to me. Great job at the game, congrats!

9:03 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Its just smart to make friends with a chocolateir.

What are sports beans?

7:38 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:24 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Mishy - It's smart to make friends with a ref, too. Sports Beans are jelly beans made by Jelly Belly that help boost your electrolytes and give you an energy boost. They're akin to Propel or sports gels.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home