Sunday, October 21, 2007

We won our game last night and are now 5-0 for the season. Yes, I did get more high powered chocolate from the ref, and yes, I did score a goal. Every game we've played this season has ended with us having scored 7 goals. Every single game. Now, James (our Captain) is obsessed with getting 7 goals every game. With less than 30 seconds left last night, we had 6 goals and the puck in front of the net in the offensive zone. James kept frantically hacking at the puck in front of the goalie until it popped into the net, leaving us with out lucky numbered score. Coincidentally, we only had 7 skaters last night, too. In case you're wondering, that's at least 3 skaters short, so it was a long game with shifts sometimes as long as 9-10 minutes. My legs still feel tired.

Whenever I discover a writer I've never read before, and find that I enjoy their work, I tend to go on a bit of a spree, reading whatever I can get my hands on for that specific writer. Such has been the case for me recently with Jon Krakauer. It started when I read Under the Banner of Heaven, a non-fiction account of Morman Fundamentalism, which a friend recommended I read when I became fascinated with the show Big Love. Next, I picked up Into Thin Air, Krakauer's first hand account of the Mount Everest disaster of 1996 in which 8 climbers perished during the descent on a single night in May of that year. I was completely enthralled with Krakauer's account. Until you read what happens to the body when climbing to heights over 28,000 feet, you can't possibly imagine what Everest climbers endure to complete such an ascent. I felt amazed at the climbers' experiences, and saddened by the eventual result of the disaster that claimed so many lives. If you're one of the few people like me who actually hadn't read the book, despite its spot on the best seller list for ages when it was released, I highly recommend it. You'll never view high altitude mountaineering in the same light ever again.

The song of the day is "Crazy" by Seal off his 1991 self-titled debut album (not to be confused with his 1994 self-titled album). When this song first came out, I absolutely could not stop listening to it. And while I've never been as interested in any other song he's released to date, I still enjoy hearing this song, especially at night on a long road trip.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

Seven goals a game? Hopefully your opponents havn't adopted eight as their lucky number.

OK, now I need to get smart beans and chocolate added to my diet. Thanks a pant-load!

What's the latest on your Wii experience?

5:54 PM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

smart beans...I need some!

Congrats on your win!

I had forgotten that I wanted to read "Under the Banner of Heaven," since we talked about it when you were here.

Yes, how IS the Wii going?

8:28 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Great book - I enjoy Krakauer's writing a lot. Check out Into the Woods, too.

8:18 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Kings Fan and Netrunner - haven't had much time to play the Wii lately, but did pre-order my copy of Guitar Hero III which I am anxiously anticipating.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home