Monday, February 25, 2008

I finally had a chance to plug in my camera for my photos from British Columbia. I didn't take many, but here are some from Cypress Mountain, including the view of Vancouver from the mountain. Other photos are from the University of British Columbia's Museum of Anthropology where they had some amazing Native American carvings on display.


The last piece shown here is called Raven and the First Men and was carved by an artist named Bill Reid, who died in 1998. Reid's mother was a Haida, one of the First Nations of the Pacific Coast. The sculpture is very large and was carved out of a laminate block of Yellow Cedar by Reid and some other artists who helped him. It portrays the Haida creation myth in which the Raven coaxes the First Men out of a clamshell he found on the beach. It's really stunning, and if you've ever in B.C., I recommend you go see it in person.

4 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Great pics! I can't imagine how long it took to carve those!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I went to a Native People's museum around Vancouver - for some reason I think it was up on a mountain side . . .

Great photos

8:02 PM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

Love the scenery, it is truly beautiful there! Hopefully I will go some day.

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That guy seems to be enjoying what the raven is doing to him.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home