Thursday, February 21, 2008

Today was sadly my last day in Vancouver BC, at least for the time being. My friend and I stayed up last night watching the Vancouver Giants beat the pants off the Edmonton Oil Kings (Junior hockey). I have to say, there's nothing better than watching hockey in Canada with your Canadian friend who also loves hockey. After watching the Canucks win two games while I was there, I think I may adopt them as a surrogate home team to replace the Kings in my heart while they continue to suck. (Don't worry - it will only be temporary).

My check in at the airport went smoothly, and unlike during entry into the country, I managed to get through customs with no hassle. The problem this time came when I went through the metal detector. I don't know if any of you have ever noticed this as I have, but metal detectors in certain cities seem to be more sensitive than others. At LAX, I can always get through with change in my pocket and all my jewelry on, as long as I remember to take my cell phone out of my pocket. Which I forgot to do this time. I was then subject to a full pat down, which is the most intimate I've been with anyone in some time. When the guy said, "Ma'am, would you mind if I patted you down?" I said, "Yes, please!" To make matters more uncomfortable, I had what could have turned into a bad mishap when emptying my pockets for him. Since I tend to get bad headaches that can come on without warning, I usually take a couple of Vicodin with me in my pocket. I have a prescription for them, but it's not exactly evident when I just have pills in my pocket. I reached into my pocket to pull out all the loonies and tooneys (Reason #7 for loving Canada - $1 and $2 coins), and a bunch of change - and narcotics - popped out of my pocket onto the floor. The inspector said, "I think you dropped something there." Luckily, he didn't ask what it was. I remember Courtney Love being detained in an airport once for having a single Ambien in her purse with no prescription on her. Then again, I'm no Courtney Love.

When I got back to LAX, I walked out into the smog and cold drizzly rain to wait 20 minutes for my shuttle to show up to take me to my parking lot. While I stood there, cranky, waiting for MY shuttle, I kept seeing shuttles from other parking places go by again and again. I kept thinking next time, I'd have to park at one of those places instead. The one I saw most often was from a company called WallyPark. Of COURSE I should have parked there! What was I thinking?

Next on my agenda - sit on the 405 for exactly 2 hours to get to the valley and work the night shift. After only about 15 minutes in traffic, I was already losing my mind. Welcome back to L.A. No wonder Bean calls it the Bad Place. I now have a dream where I take a year off, move to B.C. and write the novel I've been wanting to start for two years now. If only I had a benefactor like Pip.

3 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

We need to think about getting you a purse

10:13 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I am glad you had such a great trip. I hope to go Vancouver in 2010 for the Winter Olympics. Oh, guess what I snowboarded for the first time last saturday Tiffany. Holy Shit that is way harder than it looks. I am still sore from falling! I swear I used muscles that I didn't even know I had. I also got a sweet black eye caused by the goggles i was wearing. Oh well, I think I have fallen in love with snowboarding. I am sure I won't be as bad next time. It is so nice having ski and snowboarding resorts an hour from me.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

What would your novel be about?

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home