Monday, March 03, 2008

It's a beautiful day out today. Because of that, I've been unmotivated to work on the side project from home today. Instead, after taking care of a few errands, I drove into downtown to eat at one of my favorite places - Philippe's, home of the french dipped sandwich. It's a really old school place with long cafeteria style tables and sawdust on the floor. It's been there forever, just across Alameda from Union Station, and I can imagine 80 years ago, the place bustling to capacity with men in suits and hats. It can still get incredibly busy, with lines all the way to the back of the place, but it was rather slow when I got there to enjoy my sandwich. If you've never been there, I recommend checking it out. And don't forget to get your coffee for 9 cents!

My maid is at the house right now. I feel bad for her because there's enough Wally hair on the ground that I could scoop it all together and mold a whole new Wally out of it. She sort of even complained about the hair, and she's never complained about anything in 10 years, so I know she's grossed out. I am, too, knowing I've been living in it for the past two weeks. My motto is to just close my eyes and pretend it's not there.

Today was Day 1 in my jury call in. Thankfully, I did not have to report. Yet.

7 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I love Phillipes! I haven't been there in years, though.

Dog hair is the bane of my existence too. I have to actually report for jury duty (not just call in) on April Fool's Day

5:42 PM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

MMMM I remember Phillipes! You took us there when we came to visit :)

That was also my first time to the Cheesecake Factory.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I've never been to that place, but it's interesting that a friend from work and her husband just went there the other day. He works in downtown and raves about the place. I need to get down there one of these days and check it out.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Those who don't have pets can get really, really grossed out when they see a few stray strands stuck to their socks when they come for a visit. But not me. With three cats and two bunnies running amok, my bed looks more like a nest, with thousands of hairs (and God knows what else) stuck to it. My best friend is the Scotch Lint Roller.

12:05 PM  
Blogger LA said...

now I'm hungry!

4:53 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I came over from Diane's to learn more about this place--is it across from LA's Union Station? As I've twice taken the train through there, I've been close by and missed it. I hope you're feeling better (having read about your cold in more recent post)

4:17 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Sage - It's across from Union Station and down a couple blocks, on the same side as Olivera Street. You should go next time you're in the area - you'd love it.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home