Monday, November 06, 2006

It's the second week into November, and it is supposed to be nearly 90 degrees where I live today. I actually can't wait until it's officially winter, and the temperature (hopefully) drops.

My neighbor's daughter, Sofie, is 2 years old. Yesterday, she told me how they went to Griffith Park Observatory and she saw planets and the moon. She's very articulate for her age. She said, "I saw Jupiter and Saturn and Neptune and Pluto." I had to say, "Ooh, Sofie, yeah...about Pluto. It's not a planet anymore."

Yesterday, I watched the movie United 93 on DVD. I'm not sure what made me think I could watch it, because I remember that when it came out, I was sure I would never be able to. There are two words to describe how that movie was for me: too soon. The movie runs basically in real time, from the boarding of United flight 93 to its crash in Pennsylvania. It keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time. It's very intense, very real. As my friend James said, "I was actually GLAD when they finally hijacked the plane" - the waiting was so intense for him.

The movie was well done, well acted, etc. But unless you want to be reminded of exactly what happened on September 11, unless you really want to relive that this soon, barely 5 years after that catastrophic day, don't watch that movie.


The flashback song for today is "Separate Ways" by Journey. This was the first single off Frontiers, one of the very first albums I bought for myself. I think I was about 12 when this song came out, and I have distinct memories of watching MTV in Doreen Belcourt's basement and the two of us jumping around every time this song came on. This was way back when we thought Steve Perry was cute, as opposed to now, when I say "Eew."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home