Monday, January 08, 2007

I wanted to write about a couple of books today which I've read and keep forgetting to blog about.

The first is "Falling Leaves" by Adeline Yen Mah. This is another memoir from a Chinese born American about growing up as an unwanted daughter in the middle part of the 20th century. The fifth child, Adeline is often mistreated after her mother dies during her childbirth, especially by her overbearing step-mother. It's an interesting view into life in upperclass China before, during, and after the Cultural Revolution there. Adeline's father has a good deal of money and most of the immediate family escapes to Hong Kong when the Communists take over, but her aunt and others stay behind to have everything taken from them by the government. Despite the wealth of the family, Adeline is sent off to schools as an orphan and ignored. This is the story of how she overcomes the adversity of her family to succeed in America as an adult.

The second book, which I just finished last week, is "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" by Jeff Lindsay. This is the book that the series "Dexter" was based on. Those of you who have watched season one will recognize the familiar storyline as Dexter chases after and is taunted by the mysterious Ice Truck Killer. Some of the scenes in the book were directly used in the series, although the book has a different ending and takes some other avenues that the series chose not to go down. There's a sequel out, "Dearly Devoted Dexter," but considering how close the first book was to season one, I'm afraid to read the book until I watch Dexter next season.

This is my last day of work before I start getting dailies for my first show. ("Dailies" is term that refers to the transferred film that was shot the previous day and is ready for editing). I hope to keep writing every day, but it may turn into an end of the day post as opposed to a beginning of the day post.

The song for the day is "Kayleigh" by Marillion off their 1985 album Misplaced Childhood. I never knew much about this band, but the first time I saw this song on MTV, I fell in love with it. I think they actually had a bunch of albums and had a big following in Europe. At any rate, this is a great song from the 80s. I still love to listen to it, and the sound holds up even 20 years later. I also know several people who named their daughters after this song. Thank you YouTube for having it posted:

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

edit - would you recommend the Dexter book to someone who has already seen (and loved) the first season on Showtime? Is there enough of a difference to make it interesting?

10:51 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane - if you liked Dexter, you will like the books. It's pretty similar, but you really get into Dexter's head more, and it's worth it for the alt ending. It's also a really quick read, so you won't waste much time.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Geez, I haven't talked with you in a week and so much as happened. And you tell me you have a boring life right now. I think not!

I believe this is the third song of the day that you have talked about that comes right after I saw the video on VH1 Classic. I vaguely remembered the song when I saw the video, but was reminded that I did like it. I have really liked your selections recently.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I love that song. I actually own about ten marillion albums, and I like many of them. I actually saw them do an acoustic set about a year ago, so they're still around. hadn't seen the video for years though. Thanks. I miss the glory days of MTV when dudes with receding hairlines and rattails could still get airtime.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Marillion. I had completly forgotten about them. I had a boyfriend a L O N G time ago that just loved Marillion. It was totally not my kind of music but I did sort of learn to appreciate it.
It always made me feel like I should be into Dungeons and Dragons too.
By the way, I just love your blog writing. You are a great storyteller which is probably one the things that makes you a great editor!
We watched your show and paused it and cheered on your credit.
Awesome.

1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home