Friday, April 06, 2007

I went to the ATM at Bank of America yesterday, and couldn’t believe what I was confronted with. You know how banks are always calling you trying to get you to sign up for another credit card? Well, they had a guy actually standing out next to the ATMs with brochures doing the same thing. It was really offputting. First off, I didn’t realize who he was, and I had just put my card into the ATM when he walked up and started talking to me. I tried to subtly ignore him, but he kept talking. At this point, I was trying to deposit a check and was having a hard time remembering the amount with the guy chatting away behind me. I finally had to turn to him and politely ask him to shut up. I think he got the hint, as he went off to harass the person at the next ATM. I don’t know if B of A is really hurting for business, but somehow, I doubt it. I found this new tactic of theirs to be annoying and a bit of an invasion of my privacy at the ATM. Then again, they don’t seem to see their telemarking calls to be an invasion of your privacy, so why would they think about this like that?

I had yesterday off unexpectedly. I finished one show and don’t get film on the next one until Monday, so I’m getting a long weekend. On paper, at least. I’m moonlighting somewhere else on Friday and Saturday to try to earn some extra money for the Australia / New Zealand trip. Anyway, we went riding on a super steep trail. Single track, up the mountain, switchbacks at every turn. I was exhausted by the time we made about 2 miles in, and the whole ride down was exhilarating but I had the constant fear that I was going to ride right off the narrow trail and consequently off the mountain. My whole body is exhausted from climbing up and then madly clutching my bike and the brakes all the way down.

The song for the day is “You Belong To The City” by Glenn Frey off the 1985 Miami Vice Soundtrack. I grew up in the age where I had heard of The Eagles, and I knew some of their songs, but I really came to know them later AFTER I got into Glenn Frey and Don Henley as solo acts. I was in Junior High when this song came out and I loved it, nearly as much as I loved Miami Vice. In fact, Frey, also an “actor,” appeared on the show at least once.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

I was a huge fan of Miami Vice and, just like you, I didn't discover the Eagles until the boys had launched their solo careers in the early '80s. That song, "You Belong to the City" by Glenn Frey, holds special meaning for me, even now. And here's why .

10:46 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Miami Vice was a trailblazer in its use of popular music. It is the first show that I can recall using the original version of songs, by the original artist, rather than using some cheesy lounge band version

The ride sounds exhilirating but scary

11:13 AM  
Blogger LA said...

A solicitor at the ATM is super-annoying! It's bad enough the Girl Scouts hang out there. That said, I had a huge crush on Ricardo Tubbs, so much so, I have Philip Michael Thomas' album on vinyl.

1:04 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

LA - Eew and eew. Really? My friends and I used to make fun of him. I had a much bigger crush on Sonny Crockett.

Kelly - Thanks for the link. I enjoyed that blog entry.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always loved The Eagles, and loved them when my best friend at the time introduced them to me when I was in grade school! Growing up in the midwest and listening to them epitomized California to me. They were one of the reasons I decided to move here. I have a boxed set of their CDs now.

3:05 PM  
Blogger LA said...

His album totally deserves an "eew," but to this day, I still love a dark-skinned man with light eyes.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home