Wednesday, March 28, 2007

It's Wally Wednesday again. Here's the little guy relaxing around the house:


As I was sitting on the freeway this morning, I heard on the traffic report that one of those big Union 76 balls was in the middle of the 134 freeway. I would have liked to have seen that.

I just finished reading J. Maarten Troost's book "Getting Stoned With Savages." It's a humorous and autobiographical tale of the time he and his wife spent in the South Pacific islands of Vanuatu and Fiji. Troost's writing is both amusing and interesting, as he retells his experiences on the island while also mixing in both historical and current information on the natives of the islands. This includes the fact finding journey he took in Vanuatu in search of tribes who took part in cannibalism as recently as 50 years ago. It also explains the social importance of drinking Kava with the locals, a hallucinogenic drink capable of numbing your mouth like novocaine. I highly recommend it for a quick and enjoyable read, along with his first book, "Sex Lives Of Cannibals" about the two years he spent on an atoll in the Pacific.

The song for the day is "Don't Answer Me" by the Alan Parsons Project off their 1984 album Ammonia Avenue. I always remember this song specifically because of its video, which skyrocketed up the video charts to #15. I don't know any other songs by them. I've seen them labeled "progressive" which means this song was probably their most commercial. Great song, though, and a great video.

6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Wally is still a very handsome lad. The books sound great, I'll check them out

8:53 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I can say that my only experience with Fiji and Vanuatu realtes to when "Survivor" went to each place for the season. In fact, they've been to Fiji three times. In know... it's sad.

So, what's the story with why the show wasn't on last night? I didn't have the TV on and I think I had my TiVo set for it.

10:10 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Kings Fan - Odd as it may seem, we actually have no control over when the show airs. I think we were preempted but should be back next week.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm willing to bet that you know at least three or four more songs by the Alan Parsons Project, even if you don't realize it.

8:12 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

That is an adorable photo of Wally.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

hey - i ordered these books on Amazon

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home