Monday, April 09, 2007

When I got to the office this morning, I found the invitation to this season's wrap party in my box. It's that time of the year again. Working on a television show that goes a full season is much like going to school. We're here from about July to May, so it feels like a school year, and waiting for the season to end is much like waiting for summer vacation. The lot I work on is a pretty small one, so it has the feeling of a small town college. You might know people on other shows from working with them before, and you may see them around every once in a while, but unless they're on your show, that's about it. It's similar to knowing people from your Freshman English 101 class, but now you're a psych major and he's a business major, so you only see each other on campus if you're on your way from one place to the next. At any rate, I'm especially enjoying this end of the season because now that I'm an editor, and no longer an assistant, I'm not the one responsible for putting together the Gag Reel. The Gag Reel is a reel of outtakes, funny moments, and video of the crew that gets played at the wrap party, and it's especially painful to put together if the actors on your show aren't that funny in real life. I'm basking in the enjoyment of letting someone else do it this year.

I played pickup hockey last night and didn't get home until 10pm. Of course, I wasn't able to wind down and get to sleep until sometime around midnight, and then up again at 5:45 to get to work early for dailies. I am quite tired. At least when I was an assistant, I could sort of sleep through the day, but now that I'm an editor, I'm actually required to be awake and alert and working most of the time. I guess there's an up and a down side to everything.

The song of the day is "I Know You're Out There Somewhere" by the Moody Blues off their 1988 album Sur La Mer. Remember in the 80s when these guys were still trying to make albums? This is from one of those. They actually had a few decent hits in that decade, when bands from the 60s were still young enough to stay someone contemporary. I always liked this song, though obviously, not nearly as much as some of their much earlier releases.

3 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I can only imagine trying to put together a gag reel . . . my guess would be that alot of people in the entertainment world are no funnier than people in the legal community when off-secreen . . .

Glad to hear you are keeping your hockey legs fresh, and I had no idea the Moody Blues released ANY music in the '80s

7:59 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

First....WAKE UP!!! ;-)

This has always been my favourite song from The Moody Blues. A perfect slow dance song with the one you loved in high school.

KJC

10:37 AM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

As long as you're not in the gag reel, it's all good.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home