Friday, June 29, 2007

I woke up inexplicably at 5:20 this morning and was unable to get back to sleep. I finally got out of bed and went into work an hour early. Since I get paid by the hour when I freelance, that meant I could leave an hour early which is a good thing since I am completely exhausted right now.

Hello iPhone! Apple's newest, pretty piece of technology hits the stores today. I heard earlier that there was already a line around the block at the Apple Store in Old Town Pasadena. I believe the phones just went on sale at 6pm. I'm all for the iPhone, as I am with most Apple products, but I won't be running out to buy this one just yet. Here's a few reasons why:

1. Price: At $499, the version with less memory (only 4GB) is out of my price range at the moment. Also, I'd like to point out that for a video player, 4GB is not a lot of space to store video files.

2. Carrier: The only way to get the iPod is if your service is through AT&T. I'm not about to switch my service just to buy a phone, especially when the cost to run your iPhone will be nearly double what I pay for my current mobile phone service.

3. Size: Yes, it has a lot of cool things in it, including an MP3 player and a wide screen video player, not to mention the OSX run desktop with full internet. But what it comes down to is the size - all this and it has to be big. A brick is a brick and I don't want one in my pocket.

4. Bugs: Anyone who likes to buy electronic and technical equipment knows never to buy the first version of anything that comes out. The software, untested by the millions who will by the iPhone, is bound to be full of bugs that should be fixed in later models.

5. Evolution: Remember the size of the original iPods? It wouldn't surprise me at all if everything eventually got smaller on this - the size AND the price, not to mention the amount of software bugs. I'm hoping to wait it out for v 2.0.

On a side note, here's a link to a technical support forum where the participants are having a little fun discussing editing with Final Cut Pro (Apple's editing software) on an iPhone. No, it can't be done, but it's funny nonetheless.

The song of the day is U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name" off their 1987 album The Joshua Tree. I've always liked this song, but the video is great. It was filmed during a rooftop performance in downtown Los Angeles, and includes footage of the police (the real police, not the band) shutting down the performance because of traffic constraints. This video just proves that cops are no damn fun:

6 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

I actually remember that U2 shoot. I enjoyed the KLOS commentary on top of it.

I hear you on waiting for v.2 of the iPhone.

That reminds me... what is the latest in your fiasco with your Samsung cell phone? Did they ever just send you a replacement?

6:52 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

LA - I wish you hadn't brought that up. No, they returned the phone to me unrepaired. Talking about it will only piss me off.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Agree with you both on waiting for a later (cheaper) version. I hesitate to get a blackberry/iphone type device though - i'm not sure I never need to be away from email and the 'net

like la, I remember that U2 shoot too, though I'm pretty sure the police activity was staged

I was wondering it you liked U2 given your fondness for the Alarm, which was known at the time as "U2-lite" . . .

8:00 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Sorry to bring up such a sore subject.

8:32 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

LA - Grr...Samsung makes me so mad!

Diane - I do like U2, and I can hear the similarities on some songs (especially Rain In The Summertime), but they're very different bands.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Not a big U2 fan, but I do like that song and enjoyed watching the video play out. I also think there was song "staging" involved.

As for all this iPhone garbage, I prefer to use my phone as just a phone. I don't need to have all that other stuff. I'm just saying...

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home