Thursday, June 21, 2007

Diane was asking yesterday for photos of my garden, so here they are. I'm not sure it can really be considered a "garden" if it has no flowers in it. Well...there are rose bushes but I chopped them all down. First, here's an old photo of what part of the front area looked like the day I moved into it:


Now, some photos I took yesterday:


Yes, I still need to trim those big bushy tree things. Keep in mind that before I tackled this, it hadn't been touched in a year and there were weeds about knee high EVERYWHERE. The soil is very hard and dry. I asked my dad in Oregon about this and he asked the obvious, "Do you water it?" The answer is no, but sprinklers come on every night. Do I need to do something to loosen the soil up (which sounds like a lot of work) or can I put new soil on top of this? Or bark chips or something?

My days are all messed up and I totally forgot that yesterday was Wally Wednesday and no one reminded me! I found this tiny little Poloroid I took of him when he was a new puppy. Somehow, this seems to be the only true puppy photo I have of him. I don't know if I didn't own a camera back then or what, but here is the little man when he really WAS little:


The song for the day is "The Reflex" by Duran Duran off their 1983 album Seven and the Ragged Tiger. Second to Rio, this is my favorite Duran album. I have a distinct memory from this song. I was in the 7th grade and were were in gym class on the way to the "old gym" in the school (we had two). While we were sitting near the door, waiting for our gym teacher to show up with the keys to let us in, one of the older kids (an 8th grader!!) started singing this song. I'd only heard it once or twice by then, but the kid was older (13!) and he was hot, and the song that I already liked became all that more cooler for me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

You have a patio area that isn't so bad and has a ton of potential! Yes, you will need to break up the hard soil, and then mix in some soil amendment, or cheat and just add some plants/flowers in pots.

Wally looked alot like Marley's photo on the cover of Marley and Me!

2:56 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I have one of those little Polaroids that take 1-inch size pictures! Wally was totally adorable.

Sorry, I can't help you garden-wise. I have a couple potted plants on my deck, and that's it.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

You have the entire Internet at your disposal and you're stumped on how to do basic maintenance on a backyard garden? LOL!

Wally was so adorable as a baby!

KJC (who named her favourite guinea pig "Duran" after the band)

10:33 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Going through the same thing with my backyard. When I had a landscaper come to look for an estimate, the first thing he asked was if I water it. I'm sure I had a really stumped look on my face, because I hadn't put any water on it in quite some time.

Wow, Wally had a huge head back then. It's amazing that he could hold that thing up. Guess that's why he has such strong neck muscles.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Did Kings fan just insult Wally? I think I speak for all your blog readers when I say we will not stand for any disrespect shown to our favorite big yellow dog.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home