Friday, June 22, 2007

I returned to work today (for HGTV) after a reasonable amount of time off. It's the first time I've worn pants since I returned home (I've been wearing shorts, not walking around pantsless). I slept horribly last night. It felt like was waking up every 15 minutes. I would have fallen asleep today at work if it weren't for the fact that it was approximately 40 degrees inside my edit bay. Thank god for the pants.

Here's how I know Blogger is full of crap. I decided I wanted to use an Asia song for the song of the day today, but I couldn't remember which one I had used before. I searched my blog for Asia and came up empty. How could that be? I searched the song title I thought I'd probably used, I searched "Wetton," I searched "Alpha" - nothing. How could it possibly be that I've picked a unique band from the 80s every day for over 200 days straight, and somehow overlooked my favorite band of all time from the 80s? How?

The song of the day is "The Smile Has Left Your Eyes" by Asia off their 1983 album Alpha. I didn't even need to look up the year. In 1983, I was 12 years old and just getting ready to start junior high school. We had plenty of records around the house but none of them were mine (except that ELOs greatest hits my sister had bought me). I was at K-Mart with my mom and I got to buy two records. I must have had money from something, because I bought them myself. One was Frontiers by Journey and the other was Alpha by Asia. I still have both albums and can't believe I didn't wear either of them out. I can't even imagine the amount of times I played this record, over and over and over. "Don't Cry" was the more commercially successful single, but from the first time I heard it played, this was my favorite song off the album. The video rarely played on MTV, but thanks to YouTube, you can watch it here (it wouldn't let me embed it).

7 Comments:

Blogger GetFlix said...

ELO's Greatest HIts!! LOL!!

My dad had that on tape and I used to listen to it!!

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read in the local music rag that Asia, with all four original members, is playing here this summer.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I went and saw Asia about this time . . . I actually kind of liked them at the time, even though my tastes generally run to more alternative/rock/punk bands . . . even then I thought they were pretty overblown and pretentious in concert

7:04 AM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

Isn't it interesting how you can remember the details of when you bought those albums? I have similar ones of when I bought albums of my favorite bands - including ELO. (I've got that greatest hits album).

7:26 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I was fortunate enough to see Asia in concert last year when they were in Long Beach (still sorry you had to work late and missed it). Have always been a fan of their music and Don't Cry brings up a long story. But, since I don't have a blog, I won't waste your time explaining it.

Wasn't a huge music buyer back in the day, but did my share of looking for album singles at places that don't even exist much anymore.

11:39 AM  
Blogger LA said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:04 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I'm a total prog rock lover, so I love the today's song.

The beautiful thing about Asia is that everyone completely over-plays (maybe not Wetton on bass, but Wetton on vocals with that big voice). That level of bombast is completely rare, and it takes total balls to play so outrageously.

Kings Fan - I wanted to go to the LB show, but I couldn't find anyone to go with me. How were they? I heard NOTHING about it! They played at Vault 350, right?

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home