Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I saw this story on another friend's blog and thought I'd share it with you. It's about a 4-year-old painter named Marla Olmstead, who started painting before the age of 2 alongside her father. According to her father, Marla quickly showed a talent for painting, and easily moved from 11X14" pieces of paper to full canvasses larger than herself. She garnered international attention when The New Yorker did a piece about her first showing, and has since been featured on The Today Show, 60 Minutes and Time Magazine. Her original artworks are limited editions and have been bought up by collectors worldwide (to an amount totaling over half a million dollars, by the way).

When I first read the story on the other blog, I thought, "What a bunch of crap." I figured it was one of those situations where someone is taking advantage of this poor 4-year-old girl by convincing people that her finger paintings are important and worth paying for. Then I looked at her website and checked out her art. I have to say, I really liked it and it certainly shows a maturity and ease far beyond that of a child, even though when you watch her paint, she does paint like the young girl she is. Look at the work and decide for yourself. If you like abstract art, you might like it.




The song of the day is "Life's Been Good" by Joe Walsh off his 1978 album But Seriously Folks. It pokes fun at the rock star lifestyle, and the lyrics to this song have always made me smile, right from the opening line: " I have a mansion, forget the price, Ain't never been there, they tell me it's nice..." And of course the very classic: "My Maserati goes 185, I lost my license, now I don't drive..."

6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I think her art is great! I love the vibrant colors . . .

Great song of the day - I was thrilled when I saw the Eagles in concert many years ago and Joe did this one as part of the show

4:46 PM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

She has such an innocence to her art, I can see how adults are drawn to her perspective.

BTW, How are you feeling, and is Wally recovered from his tummy problem?

10:49 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

That is some fantastic art. The last painting is my favorite out of the three of them. I am impressed with their artistic feats.

10:53 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I think the middle one is amazing.

7:45 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Wow, her paintings are very good. Most four year olds eat paint, rather than create art. Ok, I used to eat paint...

11:45 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

As an artist, interior decorator and set designer I buy, sell and make "art" almost every day. And if there's one thing I can say about abstract painting it's that any near brain-dead monkey can slap some colour into a canvass and charge $8,000 for it -- myself included! :-)

KJC

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home