Thursday, July 26, 2007

Yesterday I wrote about embarrassing finds in my record collection. Today, I have some memorable finds in my CD collection. My CD collection is actually quite good (for my tastes), as I didn't really start buying a lot of CDs until the last 15 years or so. However, I still managed to find some that made me wonder what I'd been thinking at the time:

I remember how I got this one, and I get off easy here. This was from not returning the card to the Columbia CD club in time. Since I have a hard time ever getting rid of music or books, I haven't quite brought myself to dump this on some poor soul.


Somehow, near the end of high school, I found myself listening to some purely musical artists, such as David Sanborn, Jean-Michel Jarre, and Patrick O'Hearn. I used to actually keep this in my car to listen to. I can't explain how I got into this type of music, and can explain even less why I feel the need to keep it in my collection.

Warrant's Dirty, Rotten, Filthy, Stinking Rich. I know for a fact that I am not the only person I know who has this in their collection. I do recall that I lifted this from a radio station I worked for, but it still begs the question WHY?

Still, I have to admit that out of all the CDs I own, these are the only three I found to be embarrassing. Oh - and the Michael Damien disc that featured "Rock On." Not sure why I didn't take a photo of it. I did like that song, apparently enough to buy the CD. Sigh.



The song of the day is "Good Vibrations" by Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch off their 1991 album Music For The People. That's right - I'm pulling out Marky freaking Mark for my song of the day. Some people would be embarrassed to say they liked this song, but not me. I still have it in rotation on my iPod. It's just the kind of clean white boy rap that I dig sometimes. The song actually reached #1 on the Billboard charts that year, and included samples from Loleatta Holloway's Track "Love Sensation" - she received credit for her performance in the song. The most I remember about Marky Mark is that he looked spectacular in those underwear ads. I have to say, who knew he'd grow into actor Mark Wahlberg?

13 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

Yeah, so I can honestly say I don't have any of those CDs in my collection. I'm happy with my B-52's and Sparks collection - just to name two.

Marky freaking Mark? Just another component of the deconstruction of music...

2:55 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Warrant did have some catchy tunes that don't make me scream when 98.7 is having an all '80s weekend. And look at how cute Marky Mark was? Who could resist? He was great in the Departed

3:19 PM  
Blogger LA said...

C'mon Dirk Diggler... show us the goods!

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still love Marky Mark. He has really become a great actor and entourage is good too. I remember when you bought some of these CDs and it is funny now. I also remember driving around one summer and you listening to Rock On saying how it was much better than the original. I still have a scar on my leg from the glove box on your car. Now I am thinking of Jolt cola and ice cream!!!

7:26 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I remember Michael Damien from The Young and The Restless. He was Danny Romalotti, husband then ex-husband to Cricket, rocker, overall bad boy. I don't remember his music though. Am I missing much?

Marky Mark gives me Good Vibrations. Yeowza!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

m-m-m-mishy, HERE's Damian's music video for 'Rock On', co-starring the two Coreys, Haim and Feldman.

9:26 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Good god, KJC - I totally forgot about that movie. If anyone reading this hasn't seen it, you must. It's when C. Feldman was in his complete Michael Jackson wanna-be phase. I must admit, I now find the video a bit confusing because Haim and Damian look an awful lot alike.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVED Marky Mark. That undie ad is STILL fabulous! In fact, I am proud to say I have that "Good Vibrations" song on MY iPod, and when I hear it, I turn it way up in the car and sing at the top of my lungs! Thank you, Editthis, for making my day with that lovely picture!!! Oh, and Wally looks cute, too.

11:21 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Okay ladies, the show is over. Move along. Back to work>

10:15 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Oh god, I just watched the youtube video that Kelly linked to. I managed to get through just over a minute of it before I quickly stopped it.

11:28 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Yeah, I prefer the original David Essex version of Rock On. I'm also probably the only one here old enough to remember it.

1:29 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I've hard the Essex version, but I'm honestly not sure I prefer it. Then again, watching that video, I do realize how lame Damien's version was.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Dirk Diggler needs to show berries and twigs,

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home