Saturday, July 21, 2007

Although I wrote about watching the John Lennon documentary last week, I'm generally not much of a documentary watcher. Sometimes I'll get sucked into the history channel, but I'd much rather watch something fictional and entertaining. Or better yet, a fictional retelling of history, so I can better imagine what the Revolutionary War might have been like for Heath Ledger. That being said, I've had An Inconvenient Truth sitting on my counter for weeks and I can't seem to motivate myself to sit down and watch it. However, when Jesus Camp came in the mail yesterday, I felt compelled to watch it immediately.

For those of you unfamiliar with the film, it follows a group of extremely evangelical kids as they attend a sort of summer camp called Jesus Camp. We learn about the individual kids, and hear from their parents and their pastor about their faith and what God means to them. All I have to say is...wow. Seriously. Wow. It is very frightening. Although the film lets you make the decision yourself. It's not narrated, it simply follows these kids around as you see into their world as young evangelical Christians being called upon to fight the good fight in the name of Christ. I think if anyone in the film saw it for themselves, they would probably be proud of the way it tells their story. For me, I found it chilling and worrisome. I believe my favorite part was when a large group of kids was praying loudly and in tongues at a lifesize cardboard cutout of President George W. Bush so that he could be a strong Christian and outlaw abortion and such. I really recommend it for anyone interested in religion in America.

I realized in using Don Henley recently and Fleetwood Mac yesterday that I've never used "Leather and Lace" by Stevie Nicks & Henley as the song of the day. It was recorded in 1982 for Nicks' album Bella Donna. Henley had just broken out on his own from The Eagles, and Bella Donna was Nicks' first solo album. I know they dated, so I assume they were dating at the time they recorded this song. It's still a classic today.

4 Comments:

Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

I had not heard of Jesus Camp, and having read your post I'll probably pass on watching it.

Another good song pick with Leather and Lace. I too have that CD.

6:50 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Good choice, Edit! Another notable duet on that album, of course, is Stop Dragging My Heart Around. Love her or hate her, no one can deny that Stevie Nicks has a lot of famous friends.

I'm currently reading the memoirs of Lindsey Buckingham's ex-girlfriend retelling her 8 years with the band during the Rumours and Tusk years.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Yeah, I'm not a big documentary watcher either, but I have good (scary) things about Jesus Camp

7:54 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I just got Mad Hot Ballroom from Netflix. Haven't watched it yet, but it's a documentary about a dancing contest among school kids in NYC. I hear it's wonderful.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home