Sunday, August 05, 2007

There is something terribly wrong with the world when someone feels the need to invent a fanny pack to carry their dog in.

First of all, it's humiliating for the dog. Second of all, last time I checked, my dog could walk much quicker than I can, so why would I ever carry him? Of course, MY dog weighs upwards of 90 lbs. But even if I had a small one, I wouldn't carry it around all the time. Any of you who live in or near L.A. must be all too familiar with people carrying around their pampered pooch in an expensive carry bag. I worry that we will create a whole breed of dogs who can no longer walk. This is just very wrong on so many levels.

The song of the day is "Open Arms" by Journey off their 1981 album Escape. Hello, power ballad! I used to love the hell out of this song, but I have to admit, it's quite schmaltzy. The song, written by keyboardist Jonathan Cain while still a member of the Babys, was rejected by their singer John Waite as being "too syrupy." In fact, half the members of Journey didn't want to do it either, and it was nearly left off the album. When I was about 13, I was in a band that performed this song at a benefit concert. None of the guys could hit the notes, so I had to sing it (as if I could hit the notes). I have video somewhere of me, performing this song onstage, a HUGE Journey fan at the time - and forgetting the lyrics halfway through. Doh!

11 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Oh you simply must find that video! Alot of Journey was pretty schmaltzy, but still catchy - Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' is probably my favorite. But what Journey always means to me was their bad '70s clothes on the album covers - check one out - it looks like each guy stuffed his jean ala Spinal Tap!

That dog carrier is ridiculous! While bike riding today, a kid about 4 was riding in his motorized car . . . ok, it's cool, but how 'bout getting the kid some exercise with one he has to peddle/propel himsel???

7:04 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I'm not sure there's enough money out there for me to post that on the internet.

7:20 PM  
Blogger NB said...

I thought I would choke the first time I saw someone pushing their cat in a pet stroller, but this ranks right up there on the ridiculus scale.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Is this a bad time to admit that when Hanna gets old and really arthritic I plan to pull her around on my bike in one of those kiddie carriers?

She does so like to get out and greet her public

7:36 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

A dog carrier...listen, unless your mutt has some serious joint and/or muscle pain which limits its mobility, put it the fuck down and let it walk. It's got 4 legs, for Chrissake!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

C'mon Edit, strap Wally to your hip and go for a jog. I'm sure he'll love getting bounced around in his fanny pack.

"Any Way You Want It" is the best Journey song.

10:09 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane - I would LOVE it if Wally would sit in one of those kid carriers so I could take him for a nice bike ride, but I don't see that ever happening. Even if he were crippled.

KJC - My point exactly.

Kings Fan - No, Separate Ways! And having Wally in a fanny pack would definitely throw my back out.

10:32 AM  
Blogger LA said...

C'mon, the "doggy bjorn" would go great with Diane's new peacock shorts!

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok I have to admit, I have thought of getting a fanny pack for my dog! Not to carry the dog in but for the dog to carry. Long hikes and all my stuff, plus water, food and a dish for the dog gets a bit much.
http://www.rei.com/product/684240

6:31 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

la - that really made me laugh out loud!

edit - there is a young gal in my neighborhood who pulls around her old 3 legged german shephard - it had a leg amputated from cancer - in a big wagon!

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!! That poor dog!! Arrrrrgh!!!!

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home