Monday, September 24, 2007

I came home from being gone for a few days to find I'd finally received my replacement credit card in the mail. I don't tend to keep money in my checking account anymore and usually charge everything to the card and pay it off at the end of the month, so in a certain sense, it's my first resource for money. I took the card out of the envelope and went through the process of calling from my home phone so they could verify it was actually me who had the card and not someone else. I woke up today and headed out to the grocery store to buy much needed food. I get up to the register (with a line of people behind me), and my card keeps getting rejected. I'm irritated because I know I activated the card, and it's embarrassing to have your card rejected with people lined up behind you like that. I had to charge the groceries to my AmEx and came home to call B of A.

The usual process of calling any Customer Service line is to now wait on hold, explain everything to the first person, only to be told you need to speak with another department. Get transferred, wait on hold again, get second person on the phone who you have to repeat not only your account number and verification info to, but the entire story all over again. Needless to say, by the time I got to the third person, I was already not pleased. I repeated (again) that I had activated my card but it was being declined, and the guy said, "Well, because of the fraud on your account, we needed to verify the transaction with you." ??? I asked, "Then what was the point of activating the account FROM MY HOME PHONE with you?" Ultimately, he had no decent response, other than continuing to repeat the same unacceptable answer to me. I suggested, not very kindly, that perhaps they might be able to come up with a better process of verification (since I'd already gone through the process while activating my card) that wouldn't result in being publicly embarrassed. After all, I am the victim in this situation. This is just more proof that Customer Service doesn't exist anymore. It's why pages like this one have popped up.

The song of the day is "Celebrity Skin" by Hole off their 1998 album of the same name. I loved Nirvana, and was therefore under the belief that Courtney Love must have somehow been responsible for the death of Kurt Cobain, or at the very least of breaking up the band a la Yoko, so I wanted to hate the band Hole. Unfortunately, I loved them from the time I heard this song and ultimately bought the CD which I loved as well. She might be crazy as all get out, but her band was tight and rocked.

9 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

I actually preferred Live Through This and Pretty on the Inside to Celebrity Skin. But there's a good reason for that. I'm the world's biggest hater of Billy Corgan, and his fingerprints are all over Celebrity Skin.

Sorry to hear of your travails with BofA.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Making one decent record b/c you are blowing some guy who writes it for you doesn't mean she didn't kill Kurt, one way or the other . . .

That sucks about the credit card. I haven't activated my new citibank card since they cancelled the last one for fraud - i'm trying to see how long I can get by on AmEx and ATM

6:06 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Okay, I'll be the dumbass. I love Celebrity Skin!

8:41 PM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

That has got to be my biggest pet peeve...customer "service!" At least the person on the phone spoke English, Seems like most customer service issues are outsourced to India!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I LOVE CELEBRITY SKIN!!!

I love me some Courtney Love, and yes LA Billy Corgan is all up in that song and album. But that is okay with me! :-)

"You better watch out, what you wish for"

Oh and BofA sux, I have 2 accounts with them and I am always getting the run around.

11:21 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I thought you might appreciate this, Edit. I heard someone refer to BofA as "the mafia" today.

12:08 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

la - I'd actually never heard of Hole before the Celebrity Skin album.

Flix - Thanks for your support!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

It took me some time to like the music that came from the band Hole, and now that some time has passed, I want to look into more.

If BofA sucks so much, why do people stay with them? I've been with WaMu for years and am very happy. I wasn't sure at the time of the merge, but I have never had a problem with them, their employees or their credit cards. I'm just saying...

12:35 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Celebrity Skin was Hole's third and last album. Pretty on the Inside was pre-Kurt, produced by Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth and is fairly hardcore. Live Through This is the one recorded while Courtney was married to Kurt and one, many believe, he wrote. Whether or not that is true, it was critically and commercially Hole's best album. It was released a few days after Kurt's suicide and is worth checking out.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home