Sunday, September 16, 2007

I worked into the evening last night, and then a friend came over to help me move some furniture from my office down into my garage. When we were down, I repaid him by taking him to dinner. I had THE BEST chicken for dinner - it was two huge chicken breasts lightly breaded with parmesan cheese and pan fried. It was SO tasty! I was only able to eat one breast so I took the other one home and had it for lunch at work today. We then moseyed over to Cold Stone and totally overate on ice cream.

When I came home at 1am on Friday night after playing hockey, I was irritated to see my next door neighbors were having a bit of a party and there were a group of people out on their front patio drinking and talking loudly. In essence, this means they're right under my bedroom window, and I had to work in the morning. The people next door are some younger kids who rent from the owner of the unit, and we've had several problems with them being too loud. So when I came home last night and saw more people on their patio, I was already ticked off before I even knew if they were being loud or not. When I went to bed, I heard a woman being very loud outside, and assuming it was someone at my neighbors, I angrily slammed the window, put a pillow over my head, and finally got to sleep. When I went down to play with Wally before heading out to work this morning another one of my neighbors came out. As it turns out, another neighbor in our unit, and older woman, had died last night, and that was the sound of her daughter screaming when she stopped by and discovered her dead mother.

I live in a small condo complex, so we all pretty much know each other. Several of us are pretty good friends, and while I didn't know Briguitta well (I don't even know if that's how you spell her name), I certainly knew her and stopped to talk to her on several occasions. She was an animal lover and even though she was quite old, would always stop to throw the ball for Wally once and pat him on the head. She'd rescued a small dog recently and though she needed a cane to walk, I often saw her out walking him, sometimes even late at night and it used to worry me that something might happen to her. She was a great cook, and when we had neighborhood get togethers, she always brought something tasty. I hope she's moved onto a better place where she can be with her husband once again.

I was talking about this with my friend, Rob, earlier today. I've always had this fear that I'm going to die old and alone with no one to find me. At least my neighbor had a daughter to come by and find her - I won't have that. I'm the youngest in my family, it's likely I could be the last one around. Rob said, "I'd know something was wrong if I didn't see you online for a couple of days and you didn't return my e-mails." After a moment, I said, "...when I'm in my 80s??" And he said, "Don't worry - I'll be there." But of course, Rob will likely die before me, too. He's a man. Sigh.

The song of the day is "Kyrie" by Mr. Mister off their 1985 album Welcome to the Real World. You can say Mr. Mister were cheesy, but I really love this album, and this song in particular. In fact, my band covered it...super badly. Most horrible a cappella EVER. If you don't remember this song, here's the video:

5 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Virtual Producer
Robert Riley
said...

That's it, i am changing to an all fiber diet and to the gym with me 7 days a week. Geez, don't bury me just yet :-)

I remember your band playing this song, it always brings a smile to my face. Good memories.

rob

11:34 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Sorry to hear about your neighbor. I'm actually concerned about the pet(s) she left behind. Do we know that they are cared for?

I have the same worries sometimes, Edit. But you've got Rob adn maybe some nieces or nephews? I've got younger siblings.

p.s. Yay James Spader! I so thought they were about to say "Gandolfini" after "James." I think Spader was as surprised as anyone, and who knew he was so funny?

8:50 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Such a shame to hear about your neighbor...and for her daughter to find her body...that's just awful.

I had to find out via a message board post that a man I was becoming very close to had killed himself (a shot to the head) after trying to kill an ex-girlfriend who'd been stalking and harassing him for months. He shot her in the stomach and face, blinding her for life. She was a real psycho and my friend, Malcolm, feared for his life. Just one day prior to this bad business going down, he and I had made plans for me to visit him in Toronto, so we could discuss if/how our relationship should go any further than just phone calls and emails. He was also expected to have a starring role on my TV show. It still eats me up inside that I wasn't there for him during the absolute worst day of his life. I might've been able to talk him out of confronting the psycho-b**ch that day.

Anyway, Mister Mister was the very first live concert that I ever went to. Love their music. Broken Wings remains one of my all-time favourites.

KJC

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a total Mr. Mister fanatic. I think I was into them immediately following my Loverboy stage. It's a wonder how I ever turned out so cool. :)
RIP Brigitta.
Her daughters will take care of Salty the Dog.
Jeff actually saw her. He ran out when he heard the screaming and he called 911. He's still pretty freaked out.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home