Saturday, September 22, 2007

Whenever I come home, I try to make a point of going over to the Portland Saturday Market. It's a big market under the Burnside Bridge where local artist sell original creations. I always enjoy shopping in the artisan's market, but the main reason I go is to get an Elephant Ear. An elephant ear is a big ball of dough pounded into a flat piece, thrown in a fryer, and then dipped in cinnamon and sugar. You can pretty much only get them at markets or fairs. They are SO good. I highly recommend trying one if you're ever here. (Or apparently in Ottawa, where they're referred to as Beaver Tails). I went with my friend, Rob, along with my mom and my two sisters. We spent a few hours over there, then took the train back to our side of town.

Rob and I are hanging out now, so we went and got ourselves some Smokey's Pizza. We used to eat it all the time when we were kids, so it always sort of tastes like home. It's so very good, and yet so very bad for you. My stomach is turning over and over right now.

Let me tell you what happened when we pulled out of the parking lot after we picked up the pizza. And when I say "we" I mean Rob, because he's the one who was driving. I was just a reluctant passenger. We were turning out onto a 4 lane road that was split intermittantly in the middle by an island. So, right in front of the lot, you could actually only turn right, not left. We're sitting there, waiting for traffic to clear, and Rob's like, "I think I could go left." I chuckled and assumed he was kidding - the island was right in front of us. There were a bunch of cars coming, and he's like, "I think I can make it!" guns the engine, and heads straight toward the island, turning left at the last second into oncoming traffic! Luckily, the island split there and he could get through to the other side of the road, but not before two cars nearly hit us and had to swerve out of the way. I said, "I thought you were kidding when you said you were going to go left!" and he said, "I didn't know the island was right in front of us!" I almost had to go change my pants.

The song of the day is "I Will Buy You a New Life" by Everclear off their 1998 album So Much For the Afterglow. When I first started to hear this song on KROQ, it always reminded me of Portland. There's a line in the lyrics that goes, "I will buy you a new house, way up in the West Hills," and that's the area where all the nice houses are in Portland. I realized when I bought the CD that they're actually from here.

6 Comments:

Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Mmm... elephant ears. Man, I must must must get out to try a BeaverTail.

Looks like a great trip home.

2:36 PM  
Blogger ile said...

LMAO. I just about fell out of the chair when you mentioned Rob scaring the shit out of you. Damn Rob. I'm sure right after that he probably told you the story about how he scared me half to death doing about 70 mph on an exit ramp. LOL. Ah good times. Well I'm glad you had a nice time back home. Back to the good ol'CA.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

I am NEVER getting in a car with Rob!

Beaver Tails...yum! I just had one yesterday.

KJC

9:30 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Sounds like an arcade ride when Rob's driving. Glad you had a really good time.

Had my share of the fried food at the LA County Fair. Had deep fried S'mores and my friend Molly had the deep fried avacados. Mmmmm...

Saw the B-52's at the race track at the Fair and it was such an awesome show. The place was packed (which kind of surprised me) and the entire band seemed rejuvinated. I am so ready for their new CD, which is coming out in February '08.

11:58 AM  
Blogger ile said...

Actually Rob only scared me that once. LOL. Still it was funny to read he scared someone else.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Virtual Producer
Robert Riley
said...

It is like a video game sometimes...

I regret making the error and even more that Tiffany was in the car with me. I said to her "it's like being in the car with TMZ" It was on the blog less than 2 hours after it happened :-(

Really, I am a safe driver.. these are extreme stupid moments Ile and Tiffany are talking about.. :-)

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home