Saturday, September 15, 2007

I played my first game in the women's league last night. Having played in both women's and co-ed leagues now, I've discovered many differences between the two. For instance, for the same $540 league fee you get:
Men's league
20 games

Women's league
20 games
jersey and socks
an actual coach on the bench
coached clinic every week
Here are some other things I saw last night that I have never experienced while playing with the guys:
  • Someone walking in waving her left hand in the air while other players gasp and say, "Oh my God! Oh my God!" "How did he ask you?" and "Did you say yes?!" when they see the new engagement ring.
  • Someone with a program for the Kings upcoming season, with 5 other players standing around gushing at photos of the 22-year-old players and talking about how hot they are.
  • Lots of spectators in the stands. Apparently, guys are more interested in watching their girlfriends play hockey than vice versa.
  • A group cheer on the bench before each period.
  • Giggling on the bench.
  • Getting to strip down and towel off after the game and not go home wearing wet underwear and a sports-bra.
  • A male friend asking after the game, "So...is #32 cute?"
It is definitely a different game. Perhaps due to the coaching and the clinics offered, I found my team to play better as a group, cycling the puck and communicating on the ice. There is only one women's division with 5 teams, so the league puts their hand in and tries to create parity in skill between all the teams, sometimes trading players to other teams if necessary. They seem to have done a decent job, as the game I played in last night was very evenly matched, even though we lost 1-3. I was happy to discover my jersey number was available, but it only came in an XL (didn't they know they were making jerseys for the women's league?). If I don't tuck it in a la Gretzky, it hangs down far enough to nearly cover my hockey pants. It did feel good to be able to skate faster than pretty much anyone on the ice, but was a reminder of how much I need to work on things - I had at least 3 clear break aways and didn't score one goal. D'oh!

Here's a few photos from the game my friend, James, snapped on his iPhone. I'm in the black jersey with red helmet, so pretty easy to spot:

UPDATE:
OMFG - I just looked online and my OTHER credit card info has been stolen and there are over $5k in charges. Same person - motorcycle parts and clothing. Mother fucker. Now my two main sources for cash are frozen. The police had better follow up on the report I make.

The song of the day is "Girls, Girls, Girls" by Motley Crue off their 1987 album of the same name. Boy, you read the lyrics for this song and you can just feel the sensitivity for women these guys had. Doesn't mean I didn't like to listen to it. As much as I hate to admit, hair bands are fun to listen to, and equally as fun to watch.

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Actually, I asked about #22.

2:16 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Sorry to have misquoted you. :)

2:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Unless of course #32 is hotter, then I was definitely asking about her. Y'know, let's just make this easier: next week, look around, and whomever is the hottest, that's the one I'm asking about.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

lol at james!

Sure, groups of women may drive you crazy, but it is important to support women's sports, too . . . which is why I really should go to a WNBA game some time . . .

4:02 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Damn, Edit! That sucks about your credit cards!

Glad your new league is going well. At least there's some good news this weekend.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Virtual Producer
Robert Riley
said...

Arg about our credit, so sorry.

I am glad you like your new team. I wish i was there to go to a game and watch.

So, does this mean you will not be in the locker room with the guys ever again? (sigh...) (I had a mission for you and your new iphone.)

10:43 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Hey - if both #22 and #32 are hot, you know what to do. Um, that would be let me know (in case you were confused).

F'ing blows that your credit card was hit again. Hopefully you don't have a whole slew of cards that this person can take advantage of.

Cool choice of a song. Fits in with the theme of the post.

9:23 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

That totally sucks about your credit card. Just make sure to watch out for the bikers. Some are scary!

So was #32 or #22 cute or not? lol...

12:11 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

VP - I'm still on the co-ed team, so still see enough naked guys to fill my quota. Can't guarantee any photos for you, though.

Kings Fan - Yeah...I'll be sure to let you know. For those of you single guys, be sure to check out the league's web page later where they'll be posting photos of players this season.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

I was the victim of credit card fraud once. It was a disaster that spiralled into utter chaos that caused me problems for almost ten years afterward. It totally ruined my credit rating and jeopardized my ability to rent an apartment, lease a car, open a bank account, sign up for another credit card or get a good-paying job in the legal/government/security sector.

And who was the evil-doer who practically ruined the first few years of my life as an independent adult?

My mother.

I wish she was dead.

KJC

1:34 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

KJC - Damn! That sucks. I guess you're not big on Mother's Day, then.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you've put a fraud alert on your credit report!

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home