Thursday, September 27, 2007

The U.S Navy has agreed to spend up to $600K in landscaping and architectural updates to mask the fact that a group of their buildings in Coronado, CA look like a swastika from the air. The Navy reports that no one realized the shape until groundbreaking began in 1967, and since the shape is not visible from the ground, they decided not to fix it. Really? Am I totally unclear on the building process? Because I have always been under the assumption that at some point, the architect would turn in blueprints at some point, which would then go through several levels of people for authorization to build. And since the buildings are owned by the Navy, you can only assume those prints went through numerous levels of approval. And yet not a single person, only 20 years after WWII, noticed that they were in the shape of a swastika?

I watched the pilot for Journeyman earlier in the week. It's a time travel story, and I knew I'd like it. In the show, the main character seems to time travel unexpectedly, into a situation where he needs to help someone. (It's a bit like The Time Traveler's Wife meets Quantum Leap). At any rate, one of the ways he knows he is in the past is that his iPhone (great product placement - it's all over the show) loses its signal. If this show happened in the real world, he would think he'd traveled through time any time he walked into our ice rink or my old sound stage. I hope the fact that I like this show doesn't mean it will have an early demise.

The song of the day is "Misery" by The Moffatts off their 1998 album Chapter 1: A New Beginning. I'm sure most of you are asking, "Who the hell are the Moffatts?" To be honest, I didn't really know until I just looked them up. I was watching MUCH Music (the Canadian MTV) a long time ago and came across these guys performing this song live at some festival in the snow. I liked the song, and while I never sought out the record, I did download it when MP3s became common. The band is a full group of brothers, which I guess would sort of be the equivalent to Hansen. Except they're good. At least on this song.

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Journeyman sounds good - but I'm gun shy since every show I watched a year ago lasted about episodes

8:57 PM  
Blogger LA said...

That swastika thing is pretty crazy. Like you said, you'd think someone would have noticed on the blue prints. Actually, I don't believe that nobody did. Ah well, the truth is stranger than fiction.

Diane - You got killed last season on new shows. I remember that!

The Office premiere was freaking hilarious last night, it's always a safe bet.

Edit - Did you see Mad Men? It was another great episode, packed with more plot than usual.

10:39 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

OH
MY
GOD.

The Moffatts. I'm dying. That's too funny, Edit. I remember that one of them tried out for Canadian Idol but didn't make it to the Top 10. Because in Canada, you can be in a band with some hit songs, but you will still not make it on Canadian Idol just because Farley Flex doesn't think you have range.

6:25 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Mishy - I heard that Howard Stern was interviewing Simon Cowell and brought in a singer to try out for him. Cowell went on and on about how the guy sucked, had no range, no talent, etc. It was the lead singer for Nickelback who had just won a Grammy for Song of the Year.

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home