Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I was sitting here at home today on my only day off this week, minding my own business, when my home phone rang. I get most of my calls on my cell phone so the home phone usually means a sales call. For some reason, I picked it up. I could tell right away that it wasn't a telemarketer because he answered right away when I said, "Hello," and because it didn't sound like there was a party going on in the background. The guy used my name, and said he was from some Motorcycle store. He wanted to talk to me about the order I placed online an hour before for $1400 motorcycle tires. I told him I didn't order any motorcycle tires. He had my full name, my home phone number, and my address. He said it was clearly a fraudulent charge and said he'd call the bank and hung up. The phone took about 30 seconds. I was so stunned I didn't realize until after I hung up that I should have gotten more information from him.

I checked online, and sure enough, there was a pending charge of $1400 to said motorcycle shop. I called the bank immediately, told them what happened, and they stopped that card (the debit card that comes right out of my checking account) and said they'd mail me a new card. The phone number for the online store was on my bank account for the charge, so I called them back to make sure we were on the same page. I got a woman who verified they had canceled the order. The reason they had called in the first place was that the ship to address didn't match the bill to address. Out of curiosity, I asked where it was supposed to ship and they gave me the name and address - about 5 minutes away in Monrovia.

I called the Pasadena police and they stopped by with a Financial Crime Report for me to fill out. About an hour later, my phone rang again. This time, it was Macy's wanting to verify an order. I told them to cancel it. This time, they wouldn't give me the shipping info. Nice to see Macy's is happy to protect the people causing the problem.

I haven't forgotten it's Wednesday. I believe I've mentioned before that Wally doesn't like the barrier a door creates. It's not necessarily that he wants to go through the door, he just doesn't want it to impede him should he decide he does want to go through it. Therefore, whenever I've opened a door that isn't usually opened, he can often be found straddling the threshold. Here is is from work the other night.


The song of the day is "Who Are You?" by The Who off their 1978 album of the same name. I've never been a huge Who fan, but there are a few of their songs I really like, and this is one of them. This video involves another Who song, which is totally off topic, but it does give absolute proof of why David Caruso is a complete cheeseball.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! You should get credit reports. I did that and found charges that were not mine- then of course the companies sent me to collections and I had to prove it was not me. It was a total pain in the ass. You should watch all your accounts and file a fraud report with the credit agencies- so no one can open new accounts with your information. Lucky you answered your phone.
jen

9:08 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Actually, Edit, you're lucky the motorcycle company gave you the name and address info. I had my credit card # stolen about 15 years ago, and NONE of the vendors would give me that info. They said they could give it to the bank and the authorities, but not to me.

Scary. I use my ATM card like cash all the time. I've been more careful about using it at gas stations. I wonder how your info was stolen? Any idea?

Mine was stolen at a kiosk @ the South Bay Galleria. I had used it there the day before, and they took my name, address, and phone number on the premise they were going to "send me more information" about their products. Oh, one of the vendors did tell me that the items bought with my stolen card were to be shipped to a Hawthorne address. It was easy to put 2 and 2 together. Anyway, I'm glad someone was vigilent enough to keep you from getting ripped off!

9:24 PM  
Blogger ile said...

Freakin' unbelievable! I know how scary this is too. I had all my stuff stolen from my apartment back in May, and since then I keep wondering if or when they will come back. It's a good thing they called you.
It's strange but I end up taking out like 80 bucks for the week instead of using my debit card like I used to. When I took a look at how many times I actually threw that card around it scared the crap out of me.
I hope everything works out.

(oh by the way those aren't gang signs. lol. they are "rock on" or "hang loose" signs)

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd drive to that fraud's house in Monrovia (why don't you give us THEIR address right on this blog and post it on the internet?) and shoot them on sight, after I confronted them. Dickheads! I hate people that take advantage of the innocent and ruin their lives. What a violation of rights I could go on and on... Wally looks SOOOO cute from any angle!

6:31 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

When I recently had a few odd charges on my MasterCard for some online gaming places, I was alerted my MasterCard who put a hold on my card. However the charges totalled about 60 bucks and to get them removed I had to fill out a form under oath and have it notarized. If I didn't have a notary friend, that would have cost me 40 bucks

And I cancelled my account with Dell after I had some personal info stolen and Dell was the only company that was unreasonable to deal with

8:21 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I've been lucky to never have my identity or credit information stolen, so I can only imagine what it must be like to have to deal with that. Makes you wonder if it's happened to us (on a smaller scale) and we never noticed.

Great picture of Wally...

Oh, by the way, did my motorcycle tires get delivered yet?

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home