Monday, October 22, 2007

Since my hockey games the last couple of weeks have been at 11:15 pm (too late for me to go out to eat afterwards), I've been craving pancakes. So yesterday evening, two of my team mates and I went to the local IHOP where I ordered the new strawberry/banana pancakes and proceeded to eat enough that, when mixed with a couple of diet cokes in my belly, made me feel like I would never need to eat again. I thought my pancakes were big, but Dean's chocolate chip pancakes were bigger than his head and he couldn't even get through them.

The city around me is on fire. Malibu, Canyon Country, just about everywhere outside the city proper is ablaze. As the sun went down last night, I could see the red smoky horizon that hung over Malibu. This happens every summer, when it's dry and warm and windy, but it seems much worse this year. You can click HERE to see a current map of the fires in and around Los Angeles County along with data such as structures destroyed and firemen on site.

The song of the day is "Highway To Hell" by AC/DC off their 1979 album of the same name. It sure feels like hell here (more than it usually does) with the flames on every horizon. When I saw Billy Joel in concert a few years ago, he brought one of his roadies on stage and let him sing this song. It was pretty impressive, not just the roadie's singing, but seeing an aging Joel running across the stage playing the guitar for this song.

5 Comments:

Blogger dnetrunner said...

Very freaky about the fires, there sure are a lot of them.

I'll have to take the kids for killer pancakes, they'd love it!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

We could see the Malibu fires from the plane last night - very surreal . . .

I saw AC/DC open for Aerosmith in maybe 1978 - they were freakin' crazy!

p.s. had a waffle Sunday for b-fast

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My uncle had to evacuate yesterday. I guess five houses on his street burned down today. hard to believe all those fires- just the icons on the map - for lack of a better term and since I watch a lot of scooby doo this time of year I will just say jeepers. We sometimes do 1/2 price appetizers at applebees after soccer- pancakes sound good though

10:42 PM  
Blogger LA said...

It's surreal all right. I finally opened my windows tonight. Even though it's really smokey, I needed some cooler air. It seems a little less windy tonight.

I can't believe the castle in Malibu is gone. That was a landmark.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Virtual Producer
Robert Riley
said...

I love those pancakes!

I have an entire video channel being fed from KTLA on my homepage: www.q13fox.com

One of our TV stations lost a transmitter in the fires.

I think it is worse this year.

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home