Saturday, November 24, 2007

After everyone took a nap yesterday afternoon, we ran into town to rent some boards and boots then picked up some pizza. I'm not sure WHY we picked up pizza - we were all still full from our giant left overs lunch. Even still, we got back to the house and chowed down then started in on the Smores. It must have been 20 years since the last time I made an actual Smore. We lit a fire in the fireplace. Jeff went out and got some sticks for us and sharpened the ends. We warmed up marshmallows and it was sooooo good. Dean is a vegetarian and doesn't eat marshmallows, so he made what we called a Sore. I'm not sure you'd be able to market that very well.

We then settled in for a night of Name that Theme Song. Dean has a collection of CDs with television theme songs from all different genres and eras and he'd play a second of the song and see who could name it. I found I'm really good at the Mike Post songs from the 80s and the shows I watched as a kid in the 70s, but not so good at naming the theme song to, say, F Troop. I wish they still required shows to have original theme songs like that. The opening to "24" would be so much more interesting if there was a rhyming theme song sung by a choir.

Today, we got up early-ish and headed over to the mountain. Bear Mountain had two runs open so that's where we went. Madeline did a great job of teaching me how to snowboard, and I can now get down the beginner's run on my toe side without falling. Someday, I'll actually be able to do it on my heels and eventually, be able to carve. Now we're back at home and I am SO SORE. Sore ass from falling on it, sore wrists from falling on them, sore legs from using them. I'm sure it's going to all feel really swell tomorrow. We all had a great time though, and I'm glad they were able to make enough snow to open up the runs for this weekend.

Tonight - some Uno and hopefully a long soak in the hot tub. For some reason, there are no instructions here for the hot tub and we've been playing a game of trying to press the right combination of buttons to get the thing to heat up. Our friend, James, is on his way from AZ back to LA and may stop at his cabin up here to drop something off and them come by and see us. All in all, it's been awesome weekend. Fun times with good friends.

6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I would not have guessed that there was any actual animal based product in marshmallows

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds WONDERFUL! (except for the sore everything...sorry about that)

8:21 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane - apparently there is some sort of gelatin in them, which comes from horse hooves.

8:32 PM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

Mmmmmm, s'mores! Got to have the mallow just slightly golden and melty...Does Wally like marshmallows? Emit used to LOVE them! He ate his share on our camping trips.

Wow, snowboarding sounds painful!
Glad there was snow for you guys...even though it wasn't falling from the sky!

9:47 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Sounds like a super-fun weekend!

10:03 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

There's horse hoof gelatin in marshmallows? Guess I've eaten my last marshmallow - and I'm not even a vegetarian.

Glad you had a great time in Big Bear. I would have killed in the theme song game.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home