Friday, November 02, 2007

It finally happened. Between myself and another editor in the bay behind me using our space heaters, lights and computers, we blew a fuse for our bays. I figured it was only a matter of time. Luckily, we only blew the fuse for the outlets and not for the plug the editing system is plugged into. I sat in the cold dark bay editing for an hour until someone arrived who knew where the breaker box is at. When I was a kid in school, there were three of us girls in the house. It was the 80s - big blown dry hair. We regularly blew the breaker for the bathroom and we all knew how to reset it.

Work is slow today, and I have to pretty much rush out of here later for a women's league hockey game at 8pm on the other side of town. On one side, it's nice that the games are earlier (my co-ed game this weekend is t 10:45, earlier than our recent 11:15pm game slots). However, it puts me right in the middle of Friday night traffic through downtown as everyone is trying to get out to Hollywood or to something at the Staples in downtown. They're supposed to be putting a state of the art ice arena in Pasadena (to replace the old crappy one). The sad part is that it's owned by the city (most rinks are privately owned) and they have been dragging their heels on building it for the better part of 5 years. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

The song of the day is "I Nearly Lost You" by the Screaming Trees off their 1992 album Sweet Oblivion (it was also on the Singles soundtrack, where I originally heard it). Screaming Trees, from Ellensburg, WA in the middle of the state, were a lesser known part of the Seattle grunge movement that included Nirvana, Pearl Jam, et al. I can only imagine part of their angst came merely from having grown up in Ellensburg, where there certainly can't be too much going on. If you've heard and loved other grunge, but don't know this band, you really should check them out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

Really liked the SOTD. Happened to see that video about a week ago, so the timing was perfect.

If I didn't have to work eight Fridays nights in a row, I would have been at one of your games by now. After tonight I have one more, then a concert and then I'll be at your game.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guess what? I worked on that Screaming Trees video. Well, the b-roll at least. I was working at a music video making company in chicago in the 90s when they made that. I helped with the photos on the bedframe part. fun. I think you posted a Nine Inch Nails video a while back, too. They made that video as well (before i worked there).
See yoo soon.
Hey, aren't you glad not to be working union right now?

6:46 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

why are the editing bays so cold that you need space heaters this time of year?

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home