Friday, March 07, 2008

Hey! Wally's famous!

I took this quiz on the internet today. It's designed to tell you which American accent you have based on your answers to short questions about word pronunciations. Here are my results:

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: North Central
 

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

The Midland
 
Boston
 
The West
 
The Inland North
 
The Northeast
 
Philadelphia
 
The South
 
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz


I took it a few times and always came up with this answer, with the exception of the time it said I have the Midlands accent (Wisconsin) and suggested I probably use the word "pop" (which I do when I'm home). While I have neither of these accents (at least not in the cartoony way you have heard them in movies), I can understand where they came to this result. This quiz tells you that your accent may or may not be of the area you're actually from (I grew up in the Pacific Northwest).

So...what kind of accent do YOU have?

10 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

The West - described as the lowest common denominator of American speech with no accent at all


4th generation Cali girl!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

I was inland north! Right on!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Virtual Producer
Robert Riley
said...

Here is mine:

"You have a midland accent is just another way of saying you don't have an accent. you probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, Southern Ohio, Southern Indiana, Southern Illinois and Misouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You ahve a good voice for TV and radio.

3:59 PM  
Blogger LA said...

The Inland North. I don't call soda "pop," but I used to.

6:06 PM  
Blogger sage said...

SOUTHERN! even though I left the south two decades ago, I still have it (and it's real evident here in Michigan)

8:19 PM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

Mine's Midland (almost all the way)too, Rob. Maybe I missed my calling...could have been a radio personality, or done Geico commercials!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Mine was Inland North, although I hate when people use the word "pop" for both soda or dad. BTW - I was born in Chicago, so I guess I was supposed to have that "accent".

3:36 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Inland North. Totally right.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Diane, the West! Great pix of Wally and Stryder!

6:00 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

Im mistaken for a Canadian ALL THE TIME. Its probably this damn citizenship I have.

I have never in my life asked for a soda. Its pop! lol

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home