Thursday, April 17, 2008

Madeline forwarded me a Wall Street Journal article about the blog Dooce earlier this week, and I finally had the time to look at it today. At first I couldn't figure out why she sent me a link about a story of a stay at home mom who has turned blogging into a profession. Then I realized it was the blog of Heather Armstrong. You may not recognize her name, but you may remember her as the woman fired from her web designing job a couple of years ago because of things she wrote about her job on her blog. The WSJ said Dooce is listed at #59 of the top 100 blogs. In contrast to your run of the mill stay at home mom blog, WSJ describes Dooce as "irreverent, occasionally profane and often hilarious." Of course, I had to investigate.

Right off the bat, Armstrong described herself: "I am a Stay at Home Mom (SAHM) or a Shit Ass Ho Motherfucker. I do both equally well." How can you not appreciate that? While I haven't spent a ton of time (yet) digging into her archives, I did find much amusement in her recent blogs relating to a road trip with a friend and discovering the 80s channel on the satellite radio, resulting in the following conversation with she and her friend:

Carol: "Who is this? Culture Club? Is that the one with Boy George?"

Armstrong: "I'll never forget the first time I saw the cover for this album, I remember thinking how much I loved her eyebrows. And my friend was all, umm, that's not a her."

Carol: "Do you hear these lyrics? It's a bunch of gibberish."

Armstrong: "Carol, Culture Club was never supposed to make sense."

Carol: "I just don't understand any of it."

Armstrong: "What don't you understand about 'red gold and green..red gold and greeeeen'?"

Carol: "Oohhhhhh. I thought he was saying, 'Wear gold and green.'"

Armstrong: "Wear gold and green? Are you serious?"

Carol: "Maybe he's singing about the Green Bay Packers."

Armstrong: "Oh my god. Boy George did not write a song about the Green Bay Packers."

Carol: "And he wants to make sure everyone is ready for game day."

Armstrong: "You have me convinced."

This along with the entry about seeing Rick Springfield in the real world and not being able to stop herself from singing "Jessie's Girl" to herself while standing two feet away from him makes me think I will thoroughly enjoy her blog in the future. I assume everyone on the internet is already familiar with her blog, but if you are as out of touch as I am and this is new to you, enjoy!

5 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Apparently I am out of the loop because I've never heard of that blog.

8:41 PM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

Never heard of her...but the lines about the Culture Club are pretty funny

10:27 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I've been reading her for years. It's a very entertaining blog.

"Dooce" is now a word in the urban dictionary. It's a verb that means getting fired for blogging about your job. "She got dooced when management saw what she wrote about Marty."

You can read her spouse over at blurbomat.com.

Good call, Madeline and Tiffany.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL! Didn't realize she was such a sensation. I was impressed by how widely she's read!

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where does she ever get time to read 483 comments?

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home