Saturday, April 19, 2008

My friend, Dean, and I grabbed dinner this evening then decided to watch the only movie I had around the house from Netflix which was Southland Tales. Another friend had told me about the movie saying it was hard to understand, but when she told me it had been done by the same guy who wrote and directed Donnie Darko, I knew I'd have to check it out. I actually really like Donnie Darko, and she mentioned this had a similar space-time continuum tale.

I have to tell you, the first thing that concerned me about this film was that it starred The Rock and Justin Timberlake. I will say right now, Timberlake is NOT part of the problem of this film, which I will now refer to as the two hours I will never, ever get back. I don't even know where I would begin to tell you what this film was about. It had so many intersecting characters and story lines I felt that I needed to watch it again with a schematic or a flow chart, or at least some Cliff Notes. I can't even say the movie was unwatchable. In fact, I felt glued to the set waiting for a moment of clarity that would never arrive. The cast list is endless, from Wallace Shawn to John Larroquette, Seann William Scott, Cheri Oteri and many other recognizable names. I have to assume by the completely over the top performances that the film was intended to be a satire but I'm not quite sure of what because it just wasn't that clear.

I'll tell you, I don't know the first thing about this film or what the director intended it to be about. If anyone out there knows, let me know...and be sure to break it down sloooowly so I can follow this time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frankly Tiff, I'm a little surprised here. I thought that the evening was a classical melange of great conversation, talk of hockey goings-on, intrigue, mystery, ending with a magical movie, that frankly, was spot on. I enjoyed the subtleties of the characters; the ebb & flow of good overcoming evil; The Rock with his nuanced Rain Man twitches when he felt vulnerable or compromised; Justine Timberlake's version of Mad Max crying out his post-Fallujah scars in an Arcade/Naughty Nurse/Killers video while sippin' some Bud yo. I felt that the movie spoke to every man's struggle for meaning vs. mediocrity, pleasure vs. a sense of duty, racism vs. tyrany. In fact just yesterday I........



Man did that movie blow.

11:27 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Gee, I'm sorry I missed that one. It sounds like high art.

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home