Thursday, June 19, 2008

Holy crap, is it hot out today! I had to run my scooter out earlier to run a couple of quick errands and it felt like I was riding head on into a heater. It must have hit 100 here today, easily. I don't care what Yahoo's weather thing says.

Since it was so hot, we didn't do much sightseeing. We did, however, drive up the street and take a tour of the Greene and Greene's Gamble House. The house was built in 1908 (they're celebrating their 100th year) by architect brothers Charles and Henry Greene in the Arts & Crafts style for the Gables (of the Proctor & Gamble Company). It has been referred to as America's Arts & Crafts masterpiece. The Gambles had it built as a winter residence for them away from their home in St. Louis. I've always loved the Craftsman style of architecture, and this house is beautiful inside and out, with furniture, built-ins and lamp fixtures all flawlessly matched to the home's design. Again, I couldn't take photos of the interior, but here are some shots of the outside:


Since it was so hot today, we stayed inside and watched National Treasure 2 on DVD. I have to say, I enjoyed the 2nd one about as much as I enjoyed the 1st one and I usually abhor sequels. From the end of this one, it sounds like there may be another one in the works, too. If you haven't seen it, I think you'll find it an entertaining watch.

2 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

Wow, it's fantastic!

Hope it's cooling off out your way tonight. It looks like it's going to be a scorching weekend.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I especially like the door and windows

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home