Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I didn't realize until late today that it's actually Wednesday, and not Thursday as I thought. For Wally Wednesday, please refer to yesterday's post.

Today, we traveled via the Red Line into Hollywood and visited a few things along the subway line. We started by getting off at Hollywood & Highland where we saw the stars lining Hollywood Blvd. and Grauman's Chinese theater.


My mom wanted to go into the Wax Museum, which we did. How awful. Don't ever go there unless you're forced. A few of the figures looked real-ish, but with most of them, we were like, "Who is that? Is that supposed to be Harrison Ford??"


My mom commented later about Hollywood, "There's really a lot of crappy little stores along there," and I said, "Um...yeah, it's Hollywood." She said, "Exactly! It should be all bright and shiny and cool!" To which I replied, "It probably was in the 30s."

We eventually walked down Hollywood all the way to Hollywood & Vine where we caught the Red Line again and rode it to Sunset & Vermont where we got off and walked a few blocks to the Barnsdall Art Park where we climbed about a mile of stairs before arriving at the Hollyhock House. The house was built by Frank Lloyd Wright between 1919-1921 for Aline Barnsdall, a rich oil heiress. From all accounts, Barnsdall was an extremely high maintenance rich person who spent years running Wright around and around on designs to build this giant house for her and her young daughter. Eventually, Barnsdall would only live in the house for 5 years before donating it to the city. It's a disappointment I was unable to shoot any photos on the interior of the house, but here are some photos from outside:


Finally, we caught the train all the way back to Union Station in Downtown, then walked across the street to mosey through Olvera Street. It was around 5:30 pm, the middle of rush hour, when we found our way to the Gold Line platform to make our way back to Pasadena. At that time of day, trains usually run every 5-10 minutes. However, we ended up standing on the platform in the heat with hundreds of people for over 40 minutes, without the station ever making any announcement to inform us of any delay. When the train finally showed up, it got packed with people and reminded me (almost) of the Melbourne trains during rush hour - if there had been double the amount of people on board.


And the best part of the day - the price of gas at Caesar Chavez Blvd & Alameda:

3 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

No! Not $5/gal gas! I haven't had the displeasure of seeing that yet, but then, I rarely leave my house.

I've never been to Hollyhock House, so I looked it up and see that it represents Maya Revival style.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_Revival_Style

Union Station is one of my favorite examples of deco architecture in Los Angeles.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

There is a very cool view of Union Station from the oldest casa in LA part of Olvera street.

good for you guys taking the trains

10:15 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I was also impressed that you took the trains because I'm not sure you could get me on one of those things.

Wait... did you say "mosey"

4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home