Tuesday, July 15, 2008

When they decided to bring the whole hands-free law into effect, I thought it was a good thing. It seemed like every time I got behind someone going 10 miles below the speed limit or swerving on the freeway, it was some idiot talking on their cell phone. Now, they've passed the law, and all I see out there are...idiots with headsets on talking on their cell phones...still not paying attention to what they're doing. I'm sure the law will eventually cut down on accidents caused by people preoccupied with...what? Holding the phone to their heads? You still have to dial the phone, right (unless you have a voice activated dialer)? It makes me wonder why talking on the phone in your car, despite the headset, is somehow far more distracting than having a conversation with the person in the passenger seat. More to the point, why do people need to talk randomly in their cars at all? I remember the many, many years I spent before cell phones when I would drive in my car and not feel the need to just talk to people for the hell of it. But that seems to come with mobile phones, too, doesn't it? I'm sure you've all been victim to the person next to you at the gym having a loud conversation on their phone while on the treadmill. Unless that person is saying, "Ok...now get the rib spreader, and carefully open the chest cavity..." it just seems like a call that could wait until later.

I guess that's my rant for the day.

9 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

You're right again. Studies show that talking hands free is no less distracting than talking w/it in your hands. Another meaningless law.

9:23 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Here's a law that SHOULD be passed.

The stupid bitch driving behind me on Artesia Blvd today was TAKING A PICTURE OF HERSELF WHILE DRIVING. She'd fix her hair in the rearview mirror, pose, smile, shoot the picture, and then look at it, all while operating a motor vehicle. I noticed this at first while we were stopped at a light, but then I realized that she was repeating the process over and over while traffic was moving. So that means I'm driving with one eye in the rearview mirror and one on the road ahead because I was afraid she was going to rearend me.

So, no self-portraits while driving.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

la - I only take self-portraits on my iPhone while stopped at a light.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Seems to me that other things people do in cars could be more distracting- like maybe trying to eat Taco Bell or anything or hot coffee or even smoking. How about looking at a map or reading directions? I have an ear piece thing- but I only use it in the car and only cause of the law. I hate the way people seem to be walking around and talking to themselves- like at the grocery store or whatever- it is like they have a mental health issue--- which reminds me
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,204046,00.html

Lets not mock the afflicted.LOL

9:09 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Ohhh... Th Rant of the Day. what a great idea for a blog.

LA, depending where you were on Artesia Blvd. the woman taking a picture of herself was either Indian (dot, not 7-Eleven) or African-American. I'm just saying...

2:34 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Kings fan - Nope, she was a little Caucasian girl in her brand new convertible VW bug. I was on that little stretch between Aviation and PCH that straddles Manhattan, Redondo, and Hermosa Beach, near Mira Costa high school.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

I hate it when people pick up their phones when they are paying at a store...seriously...you can't wait a minute longer to talk to someone?!?

5:36 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

That's a good rant.

2:23 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I can somewhat stand talking on cell phones, but when people start texting and driving, I go bananas. No text message can be that important - if it was, you would pick up the phone and call the person!

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home