Sunday, September 28, 2008

I had a lot of work on my plate for this weekend and planned on working all day yesterday and today. I got a late start yesterday, and was interrupted throughout the day with stupid Home Owner's Association meetings. (As an aside, I will NEVER own a shared property again). As a result of all the distractions, I didn't get much done. Additionally, the project I was working on ended up being much more time consuming than first anticipated, and instead of finishing it in the middle of the day yesterday, it didn't get done until mid day today. So much for the second project. I went down to veg in front of the TV for awhile and ended up crashing for a couple of hours. I came to in the middle of a phone conversation with someone. It's always weird when that happens. I actually, answered the phone and started talking before I was really awake. Am I the only person this happens to?

With the death of Paul Newman yesterday, some friends and I were discussing the end of an era that will happen when Clint Eastwood and Robert Redford eventually pass. It made me think we really don't have actors like that anymore. Then today, I was watching a George Clooney movie and I thought, if there was one guy who resembled that old-time Hollywood good guy, good looking actor, talented director and philanthropist, he would be it. Can you guys think of any others? Brad Pitt, perhaps? (By the way, I think this photo may be my new screen saver).

8 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

The thing about Brad Pitt is his philanthrophy isn't done quietly, or at least not since he's hooked up with Angelina. It's nonstop media whoredom.

Don't forget the Pacino/DeNiro era. Those guys are about 10 or so years younger than Newman, Eastwood, etc. Not sure of their philanthropic endeavors, though.

But seriously, Paul Newman was in a class by himself. You've probably read in the last 24 hours that Newman's Own has donated over $250 million since its inception. That's is truly amazing.

BTW, if you haven't seen it, check out youtube for Jon Hamm on Jimmy Kimmel earlier this month. Greatest interview EVER!

7:02 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

LA - You're totally right about Pitt. That's why I put the question mark. And thanks for the Pacino/DeNiro reminder, though honestly, I really don't put them in the same class as Newman, Eastwood, and Redford. Newman's Own is amazing - he was really an awesome guy.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

I think one of my fav actors is Harrison Ford...I love him!

7:16 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Kat - Good call. I love him, too. Except that he's pretty much married (are they) to Calista Flockhart.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I think DeNiro and Pacino are great actors, but Newman, Redford and Eastwood are movie stars.

Interesting too that Newman, Redford and Eastwood all live away from LA - Connecticutt, Utah and Carmel, but as you point out, each is quietly both charitably and politically involved.

Besides Clooney, another potential star that comes to mind is Denzel Washington. Pitt may get to that status if the Brangelina phase quietly disappears.

9:26 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Even more good deeds by Paul Newman:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7641939.stm

12:41 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I wouldnt include Brad Pitt. He's too... shiney. In not an attractive way. LA is right. Angelina ruined him, at least for me. George is tops in my book.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

OK I know you may think I am nuts but Ben Afleck.... not my favorite actor, but he has done some good movies- but the rest of it- he is a great director- you have to watch Gone Baby Gone if you haven't. Also I think Matt Damon in there too- the whole Ocean's group of guys- the new brat pack type- Clooney, Pitt, Damon, and Cheadle- Don Cheadle does a lot. Leonardo Dicaprio- yes he is younger but already has a foundation and is one hell of an actor- the departed, blood diamond. Maybe Johnny Depp as well. I am not sure about most of these guys directing but it is only a matter of time before they all do that too- River Phenox would have been one too I am sure.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home