Thursday, September 18, 2008

My dog Wally, being a retriever, loves to retrieve things. Well...not just any things. He only retrieves tennis balls. I had a hunting friend remark once that the only way he'd ever be able to get Wally to retrieve a bird for him would be if the bird was coated in bright yellow felt. A couple of years ago, a guy I worked with at BL who also had a Lab brought in two cans of squeaking tennis balls for Wally. They're regular tennis balls, but they have one of those squeaky things in the middle (they're called Squeakers). I tried to give them to Wally to chew on at work, but it annoyed everyone in the office so I kept them away from him. They ended up in my box of belongings when I left that job and came home with me.

I mixed them in with his regular tennis balls for fetch sessions and over time, they've disappeared one by one. Lately, more often than not, I find Wally bringing a Squeaker to me out of the garage, despite the other 10 or so balls laying around. Now, the squeaking balls are the only ones he wants to play fetch with. They squeak when they hit the pavement and every time he chews on one. Suddenly, there is only one Squeaker left, and Wally now refuses to play fetch with a regular ball. If I can't find the Squeaker and try to throw him a regular ball, he'll pick it up then spit it right out and look up at me asking, "Where's the real ball?"

Now Grace has begun to retrieve. She's following her big brother's lead. Like him, she also only wants to play with the Squeaker. (I'm not sure if it's the squeakiness or the fact that it's the only one Wally is interested in). The thing is, Grace is much faster than Wally and can usually beat him to the ball. Once she has it, she's not so likely to bring it back to me. Instead, she likes to run off with it, and tonight in the dark, she lost it. Wally was not pleased.

My errand for tomorrow - find a place to buy more Squeakers.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those squeakers are a big hit at my place as well. Isis just ful on likes things she can chew that squeak. Jack is more into the squeal and fetch aspect of them. And no matter how many I buy, they always seem to disappear at an alarming rate. Someday I suspect I will pull all the couches out and find The Great Squeaker Graveyard.

-saladbats

8:35 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Oh snap!

I've got Ruby at my house this weekend, too. I took her to dog park this morning and played fetch with her. Unfortunately, a greyhound (fastest dog on earth) was chasing the balls I was throwing for Ruby. She's like Wally (not as fast), so she didn't get as many balls, but she sure did run.

Good luck finding the squeakers! Hilarious that Wally is so finnicky (sp?) now. He's a man of discerning taste. Why eat hamburger when there's prime rib available?

10:26 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Salad - I don't think I knew you had dogs! What kind? Photos please!

LA - Snap is right - we should have gotten Ruby and the kids together. :(

10:38 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

You've created a pair of picky monsters. And I'm sure you wouldn't have it any other way.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welllll, if someone would add me onto their myspace list of friends, they could see some dog pics on there.
*coughs*
*pointedly looks at you*

We got Isis last Xmas. She's a greyhound/Siberian Husky mix with startling ice blue eyes. We got Jack this July. He's greyhound/husky as well with a little lab thrown in. Isis will be 2 in December and Jack is 5.

I never saw myself as a dog owner. I've always had cats. But my partner has always wanted a dog and so we got her one as an Xmas gift last year. And now I'm stupid in love with the beasties. 8)

3:02 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

My cat Jon will only play fetch with a certain little ball, I don't know what I'm going to do if I loose them because I can't find the same kind in any of the stores around here!

I hope you found some this wknd!

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home