Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I've been working out at a new gym here in Texas, and I have to say, I think people are way more modest here than they are in Southern California. I guess I shouldn't really be surprised. When I lived in L.A. and went to the gym, it was fairly common to see completely naked women happily walking through the gym, showing off their fake boobs that stuck straight out (even if they were leaning over). Having been an athlete most of my life, I'm fairly comfortable in a locker room, but even I found myself often thinking, "Geez...at least put a towel around your waist." At the Spectrum Club in the Southbay, there's a big screen TV in the women's locker room, and I would often come in to find women, literally nude, sitting on the couch, eating a salad and watching Opera. My friend, Dani, told me she once saw a woman in the sink area, completely nude, with one foot up on the sink as she blew dry her pubic hair. "I'm never going into a gym again," Dani said.

Then I came to Texas. I don't even like my body, but I could care less about stripping out of sweaty gym shorts, wrapping myself in a towel, and heading off to the shower. I also don't feel the need to get dressed in the shower stall. I know a lot of women have body issues, and when I came to this gym, I liked it when I saw that they have closet cubbies where women can change in and out of their clothes if they're too modest to change in the open locker room. I don't need to use them, but I liked the idea that they were there for other women who wanted to. Since then, I've noticed - EVERYONE uses the closet cubbies. I have yet to see a single other person strip down in the open locker room. Honestly, I keep expecting an employee to walk in and say to me, in a low voice, "You know...we don't strip naked in our locker rooms, please use the cubby." I can see people complaining. "Um...someone is NAKED in the locker room!"

4 Comments:

Blogger chellebelle said...

Good Lord, that is funny. I can see that. Like that you will be asked to join the manager of the gym in the front office. He is nervously trying to loosen his collar and find a way to approach the delicate subject of your naked-ness in the locker room. His upper lip will be sweating in the air conditioned room.

10:36 PM  
Blogger LA said...

You know what they're whispering behind your back, don't you?

"That woman that strips right out in the open? She's from California, you know."

5:52 PM  
Blogger chellebelle said...

LOL! Or the Pacific Northwest.. we don't care here either....

8:55 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

One of the worst experiences of my life was going into the main locker room at the women's gym in West LA, and seeing a woman come out of the shower who, somehow, was covered in cellulite from her shoulders to her toes, and missing half of one arm. She looked like a weird, bumpy villainess from a comic book.

I know I'm going to hell for posting this, and I'm sure she had some horrible condition, but who knew you could have cellulite across the tops of your feet?

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home