Saturday, August 01, 2009

As many of you know, I've been cramming for a math placement exam. I've always had a problem with word problems. Not the basic ones, but the complex ones. In the study guide I'm using, the chapters on word problems always says, "Remember, the reason we use math word problems is these are questions that arise in day to day life." That sentence is then followed by a question that goes something like, "If a star is 5.85 x 10 to the 8th power away, and light moves at 9.75 x 10 to the 6th power meters a second, how long..." Screw you, word problems and study guide. Outside of NASA, who would ever need to know the answer to that question? And assuming you ARE a rocket scientist of some sort, I highly doubt you're scribbling figures in a notebook, trying in vain to convert kilometers to meters with a pencil and eraser. You've got computers!

Other than work and studying, I've been taking my continuing education digital photography class at one of the local colleges. Somewhat fun, and I'm finally learning how to use the camera. I've also been watching Season 1 of The Wire (just finished) and re-watching Season 1 of Californication (on Netflix streaming to my TV) so I can be ready when the Season 2 DVDs are released at the end of this month. What's everyone else doing?

1 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

That's a simple equation... X = 3. Right? As for me, I'm enjoying the last of summer because we start school on August 17th. Been to a few cool concerts lately. I saw The B-52's (twice - of course) and X, who were awesome! Opening for X was former Lone Justice lead singer Maria McKee, who totally blew everyone away by how good she sounded. I'm seeing English Beat and Reel Big Fish tomorrow and then taking the g/f to see Black Eyed Peas. Notice I didn't say I was going to see Black Eyed Peas, but 'taking the g/f".

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home