Wednesday, August 19, 2009

First off, Happy Wally Wednesday! Here is a photo of Wally helping me practice with the light meter on my camera by balancing off his white color.


It's been so long since I've blogged, I hardly know where to start. I see the last thing I wrote about was taking the math placement exam. You'll all be happy to hear I passed. In fact, I did so well, I placed into Pre-Calculus. I about had a heart attack until I discovered I don't actually have to TAKE pre-calc. It's actually a long story about the exam because I had to take it at the University, when I was actually slated to attend community college this fall. To make a very long, complicated story short, I aced the exam at the university, but the community college wouldn't accept my score. They made me take their very, very different exam...which I flunked. What the hell? So I couldn't even take math at the CC. I'd like to just point out that I've had nothing but awful experiences thus far with Tarrant County Community College and vowed that, even though I would have to pay out of state tuition in the Spring, I wouldn't return to the community college no matter what - because they suck so bad. I applied for Financial Aid for the spring at University of Texas, Arlington (UTA) - and was awarded a loan for both Fall and Spring. Confusing, I know. Ultimately, I decided the community college could go screw itself, and I am now enrolled for the fall at UTA.

Another important thing that's happened - I got laid off from my job. The production company I've been working for has had a ton of shows get cancelled over the past year and have been laying both editors and writers off left and right for months now. I found out a couple of weeks ago, and next Friday is my last official date. It's probably a blessing in disguise. I was beginning to not be very happy there. Other than the fact that I'm ineligible for unemployment, and out income just dropped by about 55%, I think things will work out ok. Charles and I are both fairly frugal people and will adjust to the much MUCH lower income. I'm also taking advantage of the lack of work by going back to school full time. I'd originally planned on only taking one or two classes, but with the Stafford Loan I got, I have to be enrolled full time, so 12 semester hours, here I come.

School starts next week and I'm incredibly overwhelmed by it. I was once a straight A student in a world long ago and far, far away. Now, I'm enrolled in two upper divisional English classes and just realized yesterday that I can't even remember how to write a term paper. I have this horrible fear that I'll fail - but then I think of all the dumb ass people I know who actually have degrees and figure if they can get one, so can I.

On a final note, my 20 year high school reunion was last weekend. I was running around for days visiting classmates galore, and even had time to meet up with my old 2nd grade teacher to say hello. Here's a photo of me and two of my best friends, Tammy and Diane. I've known Diane since I was about 7, and Tammy since 12. It was great to see everyone.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

Um, I think I told you that you'd get a loan because EVERYONE gets one these days. Congrats on being too dumb to take a community college math class, but smart enough to pass a university placement test. Good luck to you in school - I know you'll do very well.

9:33 AM  
Blogger chellebelle said...

You look beautiful! and of course you will have no problem getting a degree, because, of course tons of dumb asses graduate.. and they are normally half drunk doing it... you'll be fine.. Sorry about the job.. that is really stressful.. we keep watching John's job too... Gotta love the newpaper industry!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

I'm confident you'll ace your classes!

Wally!!!

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh be thankful you could have a multiple listing of your name at University of Arlington then have them give your stuff to somebody else, money, transcript, and all; then say you signed up for classes when "YOU" did not. It gets better, then they deny you exist more than once screw you around past enrollment dates and deny you enrollment. Fun group look at their graduation statistics, and re-enrollment stats, low and lower. BAD!

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home