Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Aah...it's Tuesday. What to write...what to write... First, make sure you get out and vote. It's the only way to make yourself be heard. (Unless, of course, you go out and vote for someone, and they DO count your vote, and your candidate wins the general population but somehow loses in the antiquated Electoral system we have, and then the candidate that fewer people voted for actually gets to take office. But how often is THAT going to happen, right?)

I somehow managed to get up at the crack of dawn today to play hockey. I think everyone else was out voting, and there weren't too many people at the rink. I feel pretty good right now, but I know I'm going to crash around 11am. At least I work in a job where it is somewhat acceptable to nap.

I ran into Christian Clemenson coming onto the set this morning. He's on our show but also starred in United 93, which as I mentioned yesterday, left me a little emotionally scarred over the weekend. I mentioned to him that I had watched the movie, and even HE said, "Ooh," because he knew it was a hard movie to watch.

So, I'm a voracious reader. For as long as I can remember, I've been in the middle of at least one book, and it has to be a pretty bad book for me to NOT finish reading it. I read fiction almost exclusively. I'll read non-fiction, but usually only of the memoir type. And I tend to get on a roll with certain authors. Once I've discovered I like a writer, I'll go out and buy three or four books by the same person and read them back to back.

After seeing the film Capote earlier in the year, I read "In Cold Blood" while traveling in China over the summer. It was a great read, and I immediately bought a collection of his short stories, which I also enjoyed. I also enjoy reading books from movies I've seen to see how they were adapted. I had seen and enjoyed "Breakfast At Tiffany's," so I bought the book to read. I would say the book is equally as good as the movie, even with the differences in plot and tone. Capote, I think, was a little ahead of his time. He addressed topics such as homosexuality, which were not nearly as mainstream in post WWII America as they are now. Even cleaned up, Capote's genius came though in the film adaptation, I think because Capote did the adaptation himself.

At any rate, if you haven't had the chance to enjoy him, I highly suggest both "In Cold Blood" and "Breakafast at Tiffany's," along with most of Capote's other works.


Hey - anyone remember PeeChees? Something made me think of them the other day at work and I said something about it, but the young kids in this department had no idea what I was talking about. I actually had to go to the internet to find a photo to show them, and half of them still gave me blank stares. As it turns out, they don't sell them anymore. They used to be about 10/$1. Just out of curiousity, I looked them up on eBay to discover one person selling a lot of 5 for $20! Damn...I should have saved all those PeeChees. If only I had known.

In honor of my friend, Tammy, who gave me a mountain of crap yesterday for choosing a song from Journey, the song for today is "Save A Prayer" by Duran Duran from the album "Rio." Great song - great album. Very memorable album art. This is the song that made the pan flute cool. I loved me the Duran Duran in the 80s - every girl had their favorite member. I would say for me it was a tie between Simon and John, but I'll tell you, John aged so much better. Simon...stop with the eyeliner, already!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

Pee-Chees? Holy crap I haven't seen those since my elementary school days. They gave way to the trapper folder and now kids just cram everything into a book bag. I have a book bag, but it's really designed to sport around my laptop, which seems to always be breaking down.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home