Tuesday, November 21, 2006

For those of you who HAVEN'T heard Michael Richards' tirade at the Laugh Factory, click here. OK, now that you've seen it, and seen that Richards seemed to be off his nut, you can further appreciate his attempt at an apology last night on the Late Show with David Letterman. "For me to be at a comedy club and flip out and say this crap, I'm deeply, deeply sorry," he said. It seems like a weak apology, especially if you heard him say it. He continued, "I'm not a racist. That's what's so insane about this." It's hard to believe he's NOT after repeatedly yelling the word "nigger" at two black hecklers at the comedy club. I have to say, I was extremely surprised to see him apologizing on TV, instead of immediately announcing he was going into rehab, which would be the usual response to behavior like that. For some reason, agents think that addressing (or just having) a drug or alcohol problem excuses the actions of said actor. Remember how we found out Mel Gibson had been "battling" with alcohol abuse after his tirade?

In sad news, director Robert Altman died today at the age of 81. Altman was a prolific director and had a huge body of work, including "MASH," "The Player," and "Short Cuts" among others. While no cause of death was given, Altman had undergone a heart transplant 10 years ago. Hollywood definitely lost one of its greats today.

In even sadder news today, my neighbors had to return their new bulldog puppy. I mentioned the pup yesterday and how cute he was. Unfortunately, he got sick yesterday, and a visit to the vet revealed that he has heart disease that will ultimately kill him. It's hard not to feel bad for the cute puppy and my neighbors, who were clearly very attached to him even after only a couple of days.

The song for today is "She's a Beauty" by the Tubes. I wouldn't say the Tubes were a one-hit-wonder, but this is the only song I personally remember by them. The song came out in 1983 and I saw it on MTV. It has one of the best opening guitar riffs ever. It was also one of those great early MTV videos, and every time I hear that song, I always think of the video with it's circus fun house theme.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

First off, I think Michael Richards has some rage issues, because I saw the tirade on YouTube this morning. Luckily, I happened to have my TiVo set for Letterman because Jerry Seinfeld was a guest. Little I know, I would have "the apology" to view when I get around to watching it. I've heard Michael Richards has been a bit of a screamer for quite some time. I do hope he gets some help.

So sorry to hear about the puppy. I tend to have more sympathy for animals that I do people, so I'm very sad to hear about his terminal condition.

Good choice on The Tubes, although "Talk To Ya Later" was also a really good song of theirs. Turns out The Tubes are playing at the Orange County New Year's Eve spectacular at the fairgrounds in Costa Mesa and I happen to already have my ticket.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went over to TMZ to check out the clip. Read the comments and shudder! Seriously.

To me, it is not just that he shouted out the slur so many times, it is the fact that he felt sorry that it wasn't 50 years earlier, where they could lynch the dude.

Also really sad to hear about Altman. I remember his life time award at the oscars where he told folks about the heart transplant. But he did live a full and super creative life!

Amir

3:01 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I saw the Tubes at Royce Hall at UCLA 25 years ago - they were quite entertaining. Sadly, bulldogs have alot of health problems

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home