Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I heard on the radio this morning that OJ Simpson will be interviewed on FOX on Nov. 27 & 29 regarding his new book "If I Did It," which goes on sale Nov. 30. In case it isn't clear by the title, the book is a hypothetical account in Simpson's own words, that tells how he would have committed the murders (of ex-wife Nicole Simpson and her friend, Ronald Goldman). He still insists he is innocent of the murders, and shoudln't be able to actually keep any funds earned from the sale of the book, so it seems an odd thing to do. "Hypothetically"? What the hell? I can't even post his picture here...he's just too annoying.

I've been wanting to talk for awhile about Found Magazine. I first heard of them on the radio, and then ended up buying their last book, which I couldn't put down. The magazine is made up of "found" things that have been sent in to the writer/publishers, usually pieces of paper, notes, photos, etc. Some of the notes are only partial, but you can tell the intent of them just by the surviving words: "not mine," "try to force," "don't see the point." Once you crack the book open, you will have a hard time shutting it. If you go to their website, they also generally have a Find of the Day.

You can find most of the popular copies of Found at bookstores and Amazon.com. The older copies, you can find here. You can also submit things YOU have found by going to their website, and maybe they'll include it in their next magazine.

It seems like a pretty simplistic idea - found notes and such. Some of them are just grocery lists, some are odder, but each and every item gives you a view into the life of some anonymous person who, at one point, lost something.

Shame on me. I almost forgot it was Wally Wednesday. Here's a photo of him behind my condo in what I like to call "fetch alley." He's taking a break between tosses.


The song for today is "Forever Young" by Alphaville. This album was released in 1984, but was a little too "modern" to be played on the pop radio stations I listened to. I didn't hear it until about 1988, and it became an anthem for me during my senior year in high school. I thought the lyrics were very meaningful at that point in my life: "I don't want to grow old without a cause, I don't want to perish like the same olds, youth like diamonds in the sun, and diamonds are forever." I still love to listen to this song, and the album includes Alphaville's other big hit of the times, "Big In Japan."

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I like to play house fetch w/ my yellow lab . . . toss the ball from the front of the house, through the living room, down through the kitchen, ending at the dining room table

10:38 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Love me the Alphaville... being that we both love 80s music, it's always interesting to see what song you will profile. Might we see any ABC, or Carter, the Unstoppable Sex Machine, or Martini Ranch? Just asking... Didn't realize you got the book. Might have to borrow it...

Liking me the Wally Wednesday, too.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

edit - I should have explained the connection - I saw your post on Ken Levine's blog, and I think you used to post on Bean's Blog too, as did I

12:47 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Now that I think of it, being such an Asia fan, shouldn't the anthem of your senior year be either "Sole Survivor" or "One Step Closer"? I'm just saying...

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home